AR Ref 600s Best for Genesis2?

I'm looking for the best tube amp for my Genesis2. Now using four monoblocks of VK 60s. The power now are just adequate but lacking the headroom needed for big orchestra.
How do you think about the Audio Research Ref 600 driving the Gen2? Will I sacrifice anything from the VK 60s?
Suchart
suchtan

Showing 4 responses by jtinn

The Reference 600s will raise the temperature in your room by 20 degrees. They are also very noisy compared to the BATs. Save some money and look at the VTL 750 Reference monos. Much quiter and all the headroom you could ever need.
I think the new BAT equipment is superior to the Ref 600s in every way execpt soundstage and ultimate power. The REF 600 MKI & MKII are very thin sounding, tonally inaccurate, hotter than a radiator with bloated bass as well as a huge noisefloor. They are also incredibly expensive in terms of tube replacement (short life tubes as well). They throw one of the biggest soundstages I have ever heard, and have an iron grip on notes. But, all in all I did not think it was worth ever owning them. The BATS, on the other hand, are dead quiet (comprable to ML & Krell in that respect), with exceptional tonality, detailed bass, beautiful mids and highs and great detail.

The VTLs are very good but you have to get the new ones with the latest revisions. If you get the newest VTL 750 Reference amps, they should do fine. The problem is that you are still dealing with a short life 6550c that costs quite a bit to replace.

If you want something speacial, go to the VK-75SE's or VK-150SE's. They are a huge difference over your current VK-60.

Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Good luck!

Jonathan
Jimj: Not only are you insulting, but you also must have very limited auditioning experience. The Ref 600s were the biggest disappointment in the ARC line. The Ref 300s blew them away in terms of musicality as did the VT100MKII & 200MKII. I have a great deal of experience with all of the ARC equipment that we are talking about and unless you are talking about the newest versions, I hold to my original post.

If you own them and need to justify to yourself how good they are, fine. I just know the truth.

Suchtan: Just as a note, I sold a pair of Ref 600 MKIIs for $15,700 about 3-4 months ago. I had a very tough time selling them.
First of all, the newest versions of ARCs amps are greatly improved over the past series. I would not buy Ref 600s because they are about to go to Ref 600 MK III. All of you ARC fans may not even recognize the faults because maybe you have not heard what a really great amp does... nothing, just pass information in a neutral way to the speakers. The newest ARC equipment does a much better job of it, but the older stuff DOES NOT cut it.

I think that the reason audiophiles hassle with ARC's poor customer service and expensive tubes--they DO NOT KNOW better:)