AQ Water XLR or Yukon XLR - DAC to Preamp- sound comparisons

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to upgrade from my Yukon XLR that I just purchased to the AQ Water XLR interconnects that are connected to my Oppo 105D dac to my Marantz preamp. I find the Yukons are good but I think the Waters will provide that extra smoothness and detail in the bass, clarity and even more openess. The Yukons are a nice interconnect as well and I found at first there was a brightness and midrange harshness  that was not so pleasing to my ears and the bass was a bit more laid back but having them in my system for over a week they seem to be breaking in and the sound is not as harsh and it seems to have settled in and the sound is clear and refined. I also have an AQ Monsoon power cable hooked up to my preamp as well and perhaps that is helping as well with the presentation of the sound I am describing. I am using AQ Water XLRs from my preamp to power amp as well.

I want to know does anyone have any experience with either one of these interconnects hooked up from dac to preamp? What are your experiences in having either one of these cables hooked up from your dac to preamp? Has anyone tried the Yukons in their system and then went with the Waters or vice versa? Since my Marantz preamp is a warm sounding preamp would the Waters cause the sound to be overly warm cause I have them hooked up to my preamp and power amp and perhaps the Yukons provide that balance with the blend of highs and midrange forwardness to my Waters I have from my preamp to power amp? On a side note if it matters but I will be upgrading to the Blizzard power cable for my preamp very soon. 

I would like to keep this to Yukons and Waters as I have no intentions right now to move up the line for now or try other brands. Thanks in advance and appreciate your thoughts.

2007audioman
2007audioman
Post removed 
Hi jayctoy. Do you use AQ Water in your system? XLR or RCA? Do you have them hooked up from a DAC to a Receiver or Preamp? If so, can you provide some detail on what you hear in your system if you do use the Waters? It would be much appreciated.

2007audioman.
I have water xlr's from dac to preamp and preamp to amps. I never had any other ic's with this gear to compare but the waters are great and give me what I need until I can afford the fires or the wel's. 
 Actually I'm gonna replace all the AQ in my system with another brand, why should we use them being the only manufacturer to have the dbs packs? 
I think AQ came up with a gimmick with the dbs system, and just can't erase all the BS they've fed us over the years. I mean how can they now build cables without the dbs? 
I have Mckenzies for headphone amp , they are very good.   Use Water between amp and preamp.   Paid 200 for a brand new pair because owner needed longer length.  They are very quiet.   Sound more open than the MIT and Transparent they replaced.   I will never buy a cable with a zobel diode ....really dull sounding compared to non "filter" type IC
Hi oddiofyl..that’s a great price for the XLR Water IC’s. Yes I agree with you that the Waters are very quiet sounding. I am awaiting for a 1.5m Water XLR from my DAC to Preamp that should be arriving at my dealers ready for pick up any day now.  I’m using a 1.5m Yukon right now but decided to go Water instead so my dealer will take back the Yukon and charge me the difference. I never heard MIT or Transparent cables so I can’t comment on them. Glad you found the right cables for your system. It’s all about the synergy so I have read..keep on enjoying the music. This hobby is addictive eh? Thanks for your comment oddiofyl.

2007audioman