Appropriate quality interconnect between Oppo 203 and Denon AVR? Suggestions please!

I've always listened to my Oppo players via HDMI into my AV receivers, but a recent visit to an audio store has me looking for a set of analog ICs.  At this shop, the rep played me a comparison of the same CD via HDMI vs the analog outputs.  There was better clarity and immediacy, sound stage, and imaging via the analog outputs of the CD player vs the HDMI version.  This would be for two channel listening to CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs.

So, I think I'd like to try out a set of interconnects for my Oppo 203 player and Denon AVR.  The question then is, considering that I'm not talking here about high end components, what price level and quality level of interconnects would seem appropriate?  It seems that the benefits of more exotic and expensive interconnects might be lost due to the quality level of the actual components that are in the Oppo and Denon. 

So, what level of ICs do you think would be reasonable for this application, and can you recommend any specific products?  What might be the point of "diminishing returns"?  I guess my budget would be up to a few hundred dollars.  Thanks! 
mtrot

Showing 2 responses by mtrot

Okay, let me back up a bit.  It's not like I don't have ICs on hand.  I have a set of Audio Art IC-1 and some other older ICs of which I do not remember the name and brand.  So, I could just use those if I wanted to go with entry level.  The IC-1 seem a bit constricted compared to the set of Audio Art IC-3 that I also have.  I have used Anticable ICs before and was not overly impressed.

Now, I also own and use a set of the original High Fidelity CT-1 interconnects between my Denon AVR and my Krell power amp.  I really like the openness and transparency they provide, but I'm not wanting to spend that much money this time. 

So, I guess I'd be looking for something between entry level and the level of the High Fidelity price range of cables, perhaps in the $300 range.  Yes, I do know about the newer High Fidelity Reveal cables, but I think they cost ~$700.  Perhaps the Signal Cable Silver might be a good option.  At least they are inexpensive, so it's not a big deal to try them out. 

What about the Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference Series II RCA  interconnects that are advertised here on Agon?  They can be had for $199, which is nice.  Anybody have any experience?