Apple TV vs. Apple Mini

I am currently running a couple of Apple TV's with external DAC's as well as one Airport Express connected to powered speakers using the analog out on that device.

In the Amarra vs. Pure Music thread, I noted that I can't get Pure Music to play wirelessly. It made me wonder how great a sonic advantage running a Mac Mini to a USB Dac (I have a PS Audio DAC III connected via Wireworld toslink in one system)

I love the video aspects of the Apple TV and its interface with iTunes, but wondered how much I am missing. I have a couple of reasonably high resolving systems (McIntosh MA 6900, Martin Logan Ascets/Descent sub, Synergistic Research cabling in one system, Magunm Dynalab MD 208 Receiver, EPOS M5's, Kimber cables in the other).

I could use an iPod with Remote to control both.

Worth the bother? Any way to preserve the video interface while controlling iTunes?
bbopman

Showing 2 responses by banyon100

The Mac Mini is a lot more flexible and offers a lot more options - it is a real computer that is easy to connect to a TV and stereo.

The ATV is a wonderful media device that gets no respect. It is basically a big iPod that connects to the home TV and stereo that sounds wonderful and is easy for the rest of the family to use.

I have both, the wife uses the ATV, and I couldn't live without our Mac Mini and its "50 inch monitor" in the family room.
If your TV has an RGB connection you can use an Apple DVI to RGB converter plus RGB cable to connect. If not, you can use a DVI to HDMI cable or converter to connect. In either case you will have to use a separate audio cable as the HDMI will not carry audio. Good luck and enjoy.