Apple Music

“Apple Music head can’t differentiate lossless and compressed audio, says format is a “marketing play”. “
Can’t differentiate !???… so why to bother upgrading your stream service !? Really?

https://www.musictech.net/news/industry/apple-music-head-cant-differentiate-lossless-and-compressed-audio-says-format-is-a-marketing-play/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=apple-music-head-cant-differentiate-lossless-and-compressed-audio-says-format-is-a-marketing-play&amp=1

surfmuz

Showing 2 responses by james633

Hmm I hear a big difference between the Gregory Porter “All Rise” Lossless and 24-96 high res album. The 256 to lossless is less noticeably. I think this is because apples 256 codec is very good.
You can switch instantly and it is very easy to hear how much better “app rise” is in 24/96

I am just using an iPhone to mojo with focal Elex headphones as I don’t have a way at the moment to try it on my main speaker rig.
Ok the album “all rise” there is more air, soundstage depth on the 24-96hz file. I feel there is more detail too.
On the Michael Jackson and Dio (24/192) seemed to sound the same to me on a quick listen to their lossless counter part). 
I think this is going to be album to album.
I have had Tidal and Apple for awhile and I will be dropping tidal. Apple sounds better and the family likes it better (why I have both…). 

Another view point here. https://youtu.be/bRDGh4Ph6ok

The only way to run high-res from a phone is from an external dac. The dongle has a limit of 44.1khz with a 24 bit depth. So everything is down sampled through the dongle so it is a moot point.
The high res is pretty night and day better with the proper equipment. It is pretty simple to run a Mac to a dac, plug and play really. Apple just needs to get the auto bit rate fixed. Right now you have to choose your output sample rate or it will be resampled on a computer. This is a problem because some albums are 96khz some are 192khz and then some are 44.1. The IOS appears to be sending bit perfect audio they just need to update the Mac.
Apple is simply the best sounded streaming service I have tried. Honestly the high res is maybe the best source material I have heard regardless of medium. The hardware will come.