Apollon AS1200 ICEPOWER class D amp in da house

Recently, I got back in to the audiophile world. I needed an amp that could drive Ohm Super Sound Cylinders. These are 6 ohm low sensitivity speakers. They sounded bad on a Denon receiver that outputs 80 watts. The Apollon AS1200 ICEPOWER class D amp outputs 620 watts. Wrap your brain around that one.

Here is some pics and a review of the amp. Seemed like a lot of clean power for not too much money. Worth a try I thought although there really is not too much info out there on the device. 

I've owned a bunch of amps. Good ones. I've listened to many more. But, I've been out of the game for a spell. The quality available now seems almost magical.

So far, I can't say that this amp sounds like anything, which is what we say we want (we don't really, not all the time). At this point in my life I really do want the amp to disappear. This amp is not too big, does not run too hot, is black and so hides in my cabinet, and yet it has tremendous power on tap. Unlike the reviewer whom I linked above I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality. Totally sufficient. Yeah, the faceplate logo could look nicer, but a minor quibble. 

If there is a sonic signature it is one of total control. The Ohms on this amp can do anything, or so it seems. I'm impressed. Not much money for that kind of power. Clean power. Dang. 
monstertruck9882

Showing 1 response by monstertruck9882

Thanks @noble100. I like the amp for sure. My previous amps were tube based. Some were outstanding. This thing though. The control. The transparency. It just gets things done. 

Not sure what hum you are referring to. My amp does not hum.