APOGEE CENTAUR MAJOR VS B&W MATRIX801S2 WHICH IS T

WHICH IS THE BETTER SPEAKER THE APOGEE OR THE B&W MATRIX801
digital3

Showing 4 responses by zd542

Before you buy either speaker, you really have to listen to them. I had the B&W's, but mine were the S3's. You couldn't pay me to listen to those things. You can do so much better for a lot less money. I don't have an exact date, but the S2's are from the 80's. I don't have as much experience with the Apogee, but its a ribbon. People either love them or hate them.

If it were me, I would look elsewhere. Speakers have come such a long way since both of those speakers were in production, that there's no reason to have to put up with the flaws of either one.
"this is one irresponsible statement. Looks to me that you don't know what you are talking about....."

Cry baby. Just because you like the speakers that means that everyone has to like them. Maybe if you put the magazines down for a minute and go out and get some real listening experience, you may one day be able to contribute something useful.
Bombaywalla,

Well here we are again. This is one of those situations where I'm starting to feel embarrassed for someone else. That would be you. I doubt we can end this but I'll try.

Apogee speakerss: Are very difficult to drive. Don't have great bass. Are hard to place. Don't have the volume or dynamic range that most other speakers have. The company has been out of business for well over a decade. Anything that someone buys used will almost certainly need some type of service or repair just due to age, if nothing else.

I guess all that's not too bad. They do have a nice midrange, but so do a lot of other speakers. Now, just to be clear, I consider the above comments common knowlege. The OP already knows this. I assume he's asking if its worth all the trouble to buy a pair of these speakers. I still say no to these and the B&W's.

Now for the last part. What is it that you know? You made it a point 2x's to say that I'm ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about but don't tell me why. Given your ego, you have to have some subjective info that proves my subjective info wrong. So what is it? You used to work for the company, own the speakers, fix them, heard them at the big show..... What is it that makes your opinion right and mine wrong? Also, I have no idea why you would compare vintage cone speakers to ribbons. Just because they are both considered vintage products, maybe?
"11-11-13: Dave_72
The B&Ws *can* offer superb sound to this day, but again, imo, it will fall just short of the 801Ds and 800Ds."

How do you deal with the tweeters in those old B&W's? The midrange is excellent. Its clean and fast; no problems at all. I found the tweeter to be painful. I tried all different things to fix them, but could come up with no reasonable solution short of just getting a new pair of speakers. They ended up being a very good learning experiance, but a very costly one.