APL 3910 owners, has anyone tried APL upsampler?

I placed order today for APL 3910 and Alex offered me to install his new upsampler board too. I choose to go with it but I've asked him to have it installed as switchable option.

I wonder if anyone of you heard his upsampler?

Regards
kaaos

Showing 9 responses by boa2

Steve,
Alex is on a deadline to have our APL ready for Thursday. So will you please stop bothering him? He's got work to do! I'm getting the upgrade twitches just waiting...
Cary 211 anniversary amps? When you open a second-hand audio store, I'll be first in line, buddy!
Pardales,
Hot Rod is a division of Verastarr, as far as I understand. You might ask Mike (www.verastarr.com) and/or Alex (www.aplhifi.com) for the scoop.
My wife and I apparently have only the second unit with the Upsampler. We've had the player for just a day--not much time, clearly--but thus far we prefer it with the Upsampler 'off' more than we do 'on'.

What we've noticed so far:
Upsampler ON:
The music sounds more blended
Softer edges between the instruments
Midrange feels slightly more airy

Upsampler OFF:
Better clarity
Images clearly focused
Distinct separation of instruments

I know that the choice between the two will be a personal one, and we could certainly feel differently as the player breaks in. Depends on the specific song as well as to whether or not we prefer one effect or the other. I will say that right out of the box, the player itself is ridiculously good. I know that's an odd way to put it, but those are the best words I can find for something that plays this well.
Hey Grant,
I believe that the Upsampler does eliminate the DAC capability of the player.
We are running our player direct. I've not heard the First Sound--only heard great things about them. At this point, I have no desire to add a preamp, as the music really sounds great.
I look forward to hearing your system, hopefully later this month.
Howard
It should be said that Fplanner2000 has the improved version of the upsampler. My comments are based on the previous version, which I'm having upgraded in a week or so.
Sorry if that was vague. I have the 16-bit (data word) upsampler, and if Fplanner2000 just received his player, he would have the 24-bit, which is said to be much improved.
Alex,
Are you trying to tell me what I have in MY machine? What nerve!

Sorry I mispoke. I said I was non-techno.
Howard