APC Line R 1250, Is it Hazardous?

I have heard from a member at this site that the APC Line R 1250 power conditioner/stabilizor, designed for computer use, is also a good unit to use for Hi-fi. I own one of the units myself and use it on our computer. In some or the power conditioning threads there have been warnings that "most" computer power conditioners will damage delicate Hi-fi gear due to them putting out a different type of wave (square wave I believe) and because of these warning I have been afraid to try out the unit on either of our Hi-fi systems. I am also not very technical and would not know what to really ask if I were to contact APC directly. Can any of our technical members familiar with the unit confirm that it is safe to use with Hi-fi gear? If not, then what exactly would I ask APC if I were to contact them? Thanks.
128x128dekay

Showing 3 responses by dekay

Platinum: Is that the only criterion that I would be looking for (a pure 60HZ sinewave output)? Thanks.
Platinum: I went ahead and sent a query to APC based on your info (output specs are not posted at the site on the Line R 1250). I also asked that they confirm that the ouput on the model 700 up is a "pure/true" sine wave output. Thanks. PS: Also noticed a lot of broken units for sale on Ebay.
This is the reply that I recieved from APC technical support: The Line R is purely a line conditioner. The Line R1250 has a load capacity of 1250 Watts. It's got boost and trim to step up low voltage and trim high voltage. The Line R also does not put out a pure sine wave. It puts out whatever wave is coming out of the wall. The nominal input frequency on the Line R is 50/60hz, and the nominal input voltage is 120Vac. I think that I will give it (the APC) a try on our mini system for starters (Sony MHC-NX1 running line out to a Musical Fidelity X-A1 to Polk RT-15's in a, very close, near field setup) and see how it sounds. It's not Hi-fi but it does resolve enough to differentiate between most cables and wire, I have found. Thanks for all of the input which enabled me to ask the right questions.