Anything wrong with Treshold "T" series??

Was told by a dealer that if I was interested in a used Threshold go for a earlier "S" as opposed to latter T series as something went wrong on latter ones.Anybody know what I am talking about?Or he was talking about?
chazzbo

Showing 2 responses by trich727

Hi Chazzbo,
I've not heard of any problems with the T series. I could be that the dealer is a Nelson Pass design fan, and is just somewhat biased against the T, which Nelson was not involved with. Jon Solderberg of Vintage Amp.com you tell you more if you have a specific question. Like Sean, I have an S350E (inbetween the S300 and S550E), and a FET 10E pre. They are excellent, and I highly recommend them. There is a very clean S300II on eBay right now for an attractive price, but I wouldn't be afraid of a T. I do think you can get more amp for the $ with an S, as they are older. Log on to Vintage and ask Jon about the amp you are looking at. Tom
I will stand corrected after reading the above posts, and I will explain why. I suggested a possible bias for a Nelson Pass design as the dealer's reason to steer you away from the T series, however knowing now about the IGBT factor, I think I would stay away from a T. Reason being; I own a PS Audio Lambda II transport in perfect condition, and it sounds great except that the belt driven pulley that opens and closes the drawer broke (the pulley, not the belt), and I can't find one anywhere. The part I need is probably less than a $0.10 mfgr cost plastic piece, yet it prevents me from selling the unit, or fixing it so that it is not a pain in the ass to use. I have been in touch with Paul at PS, and any one who could even possibly help me over the past year with no luck. I ended up buying one of the Sony SACD units 3 days ago so I would not have to be the "elected disc changer", as you have to open the cd drawer with a paperclip. I still love the sound of the Lambda II through the Ultralink II, but it is a hassle and embarrassing. So the moral of this story is, when key components of a unit are no longer available, either buy what "unique parts" that could go wrong with the unit before you buy it, or do not buy it. In HiEnd, it's always a risk no matter what you do, which is why I went with the Sony SACD... but then, I bought the "L Cassette" years ago as well, and still have an ED Beta. Buy an S. Tom