Anything wrong with PS Audio DirectStream DACs?

I'm counting right now 19 (nineteen) PS Audio DSD DACs for sale (new and used). Strange. Some second owners also selling... The reviews are unanimously stellar.

I wonder why.
cbozdog

Showing 3 responses by dw8083

Ted smith has been pretty transparent there are limitations in the poser supply and output transformers, however he has Ben able to continuously refine the current hardware platform. I just helped a friend set-up a new out of the box DirectStream DAC with the latest Firmware Windom. The unit was stiff as board and fairly suddenly came to life after 50 hours of operation. At first the sound was VERY relaxed and lack key detail. Then all of a sudden the sound character changed for the better, and WOW!

Listening to a DSF file of Creedence’s Susie Q, the portion where John Fogerty is singing through a cone had a level clarity that knocked us off the couch. The detail is shocking what is pulled out of the noise floor.

The user interface is atrocious and the unit is difficult to set-up for streaming. I can expand on that if anyone’s interested.

Overall the unit is well worth the money and the current firmware version doesn’t resemble the unit shipped 5 years ago.

PS Audio is about to release a whole new product they are nicknaming TSS for Ted Smith Signature edition. It’s likely to be half again more expensive but include Jensen output transformers and entirely new power supply.

It plays 24/192 and DSF files brilliantly.  It really shines making Red Book 14/44K files sound better than they should. 

Responding to CAkids comment…. The DirectStream DAC has a very long break in Period. A week is insufficient for the deck to really come into its own. Listening for a week I was disappointed with the presentation of the direct stream DAC but could hear the potential.

Into the second week the DAC really woke up. Some have claimed in other reviews it takes as long as 200 or 300 hours or longer for it to fully break in.
I’m my own case the break in happened about 12 hours when a Seismic shift in the sound.  Beyond that is diminishing rates of return. 

No one needs to listen for 3-6 months to get the broken in sounds.  The DAC just needs to be running. Cycle some dynamic range music of shuffle for a week. That’s approaching 200 hours. 

The SDS DAC sounds terrific in 10+ hours.