Anything wrong with PS Audio DirectStream DACs?

I'm counting right now 19 (nineteen) PS Audio DSD DACs for sale (new and used). Strange. Some second owners also selling... The reviews are unanimously stellar.

I wonder why.
cbozdog

Showing 5 responses by cal3713

I currently have a DSD for sale, and I'll tell you why.

It has less gain than the PWD, so in my low gain, direct-to-amp system I was able to top out the volume control. The music was plenty loud, but there were times I wanted a tiny bit more and couldn't get it. The DSD also sounds better on its low gain setting, as that reduces the analog noise floor.

Spectacular imaging and *way* more detail retrieval than the PWD (my only source of comparison), but I just couldn't use it without a preamp because of the gain issues. Someone without these issues would likely adore it, and should buy mine.
Different systems, different ears, ymmv. Good things to remember whatever your experience with a particular piece of gear.  

That's one nice thing about some of the other sites where people have signatures on their posts that lists the full music chain.  Helps you evaluate how well their experience will transfer to your system.
@audiotroy I don't have a DS DAC, but to imply that a company *not* creating a new hardware upgrade every year is somehow hurting the people who purchase that product is just ridiculous. 

Companies that do that are just milking their consumers for cash.

Totally crazy that you are somehow framing PS Audio's FGPA code refinements as a negative.  Just crazy.
If you want to run directly to your amps, one thing to be careful of with the DS is the relatively low output voltage.  I don't have a pre and that was a problem for me.  During my demo I had to use it on the high voltage setting and still ran out of range if I wanted to listen loudly.  The noise floor also becomes much more evident when listening on that setting.