Anything close to Hegel H360 but smaller/lighter?

So, I’m living in Brazil these days in an apartment with a room a little bigger than 12x12 (maybe 14x14) I’m guessing. I have a pair of Totem “The One” speakers laying in storage there and a Velodyne 12” subwoofer and I want to put these to use. I’m in the US now on a short stay and just bought the Martin Logan Forte simply  because it was cheap and I’m getting a buzz to listen to music again but I don’t want to break the bank. Plus, I’m in an apartment so sound levels need to be considered for the sake of neighbors. I knew this might happen…..I’m already thinking about upping the ante a bit and buying a somewhat decent integrated amp and came across good reviews for the Hegel H360 on here - would I get a noticeable sound quality difference if I sprung for this amp as opposed to the Forte. That is, $250 as opposed to a few grand?

Now I see that Hegel is 45lbs and I’m trying to bring this in my suitcase to Brazil and it will be doable if I sacrifice bringing other personal items back with me so, two questions here….

Will the Hegel provide me with a big noticeable difference in sound quality over the Forte ?

Is there another integrated out there that compares with the Hegel but is lighter/smaller?

cheers

thomastrouble

Showing 5 responses by mofojo

Thomas, sent you a PM. 

Also on 2nd thinking this since you are in an apartment the 2170 would probably be plenty unless you want headbanging levels. You do lose the EQ and streaming functions of the 3400 but you normally see these used more than the 3400 for way under your budget. 

Lyngdorf tdia 3400 may be a good option. Room correction and lots of customization to get you an awesome sound in your apartment without needing to crank things up. Perfect blending with subs as well. 

My 2170 seemed to run out of gas before getting some Dynaudio Contours to the levels I was looking for. Not sure the 1120 would be enough for those Totems. 

I think it’s a good pick especially considering your in an apartment and probably can’t really crank it I’m assuming. The Lyngdorf 3400 will give you endless tweaking for lower volume listening. IME without the room correction engaged it sounds very good and clean. Not digital like a lot of class d. With the room correction and subs dialed in and subs engaged in my room it was totally transformed into something really special. Never heard a Hegel but have heard pretty good things. 

I thought about getting the 3400 myself. According to my dealer the very reason they came out with the 3400 was to handle lower efficiency speakers better than the 2170.

OP bought a Benchmark amp and DAC. Hope he gives hi impression once all dialed in.