Anyone who has had a VdH Colibri for over 1000hrs

I am on my 3rd Colibri and have never had one long enough to put over 400hrs on it. My current H.O. XCP is as sibilant as the prev. Colibris but I love it regardless because on over 50% of my collection it is sublime! I do however feel or hope that with lots more hours the suspension will loosen up and the tracking will improve and elimate most of the sibilance. Should I reset my optimistic expectations or is there hope after all?
vusi_khumalo

Showing 3 responses by cfluxa

Vusi and David12,

I just sprang for an XGP LW for my WT Amadeus from High End Broker and am scared to death! I've been told the Amadeus handles the Colibri very capably, and supposedly my K&K Maxxed Out phono stage is a good match as well.

Still, I am admittedly a bit skeptical given the fixed alignment of the Amadeus. Am hoping the wonderfully versatile tonearm and silicone damping bath saves the day... Let me know if you've got any words of wisdom, I'm all ears...
Vusi - the only thing that scares me more than the idea of filing the threads on cartridge screws is "going through a few" of these things!

Seriously, I am interested what you think the differences are between the XGP LW and a regular XGP model? Is one more difficult to tame than the other? I believe the effective mass of my tonearm is 10.5g and the dealer told me he thought the LW would be a good match.
Vusi - Thanks very much for the excellent insight which, to my surprise, was actually somewhat encouraging... I see my Colibri is somewhere between Holland and the US at the moment, so I reckon it'll be another week or so before it's through customs and at my door. I look forward to posting my impressions, and hope you'll stay tuned for any questions or crises I might manage to come up with. ; )