Anyone using their Jolida JD 100 as a transport?

I'm looking to get a more detailed and dynamic sound out of my CDP. I'm thinking of hooking up an inexpensive DAC to my Jolida JD 100 CDP.

I have never used a DAC before, and could use advice on a decent DAC / digital cable combo for approx. $600-$800 (used).

My other option is to sell my JD 100 CDP and get a used Meridian 508.24 or Arcam CD23.

The rest of my system is as follows:
Speakers: Silverline Sonata II (due in two weeks)
AMP: BAT VK 200 (ss)
Pre: BAT VK 30 (tube)
I/C for source: Purist Venustas (in-transit)

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated.
128x128pdreher

Showing 5 responses by distortion

Pdreher, I wanted to check back in after a few weeks. How do your new speakers sound? I bet they sound good! Also, how did you like the Jolida with the RCA's? I hope our advice worked out for you.
Pdreher, what tubes have you tried? Have you tried a PC? This player responds very well to both.

It's an acceptable Transport. I used mine to feed either my Pre/Pro or a Theta DSPro for a while. Though the tube output was my preferred source and its a fine one at that.
On second thought, I am with Rob and Gunbei on this too. If you havent/wont try any tube changes then a tube player probably isnt for you.

Something else to consider. If you're running stock tubes in the CDP, with a tube BAT pre, and a BAT amp, its probably as sweet as syrup. Maybe too sweet!

While you are waiting for your Silverlines, what is filling speaker duties? You may want to wait at least until you try out your new speakers before changing sources! If for nothing else then to just have baseline of what you dont like about the sound.

I have Sol 6.2's right now. Good little speaker! I bet you're going to like the Silverlines. Good choice.

I used to have the Jolida paired with a Theta DAC, I replaced it with a CDP with volume control. I still miss the Jolida.

I tried a couple of pairs of GE tubes and didnt much care for either of them. In fact the JAN GE's were aweful in this player. I really loved a pair of smooth plate telefunken 12ax7s but they are pretty expensive.

However, a brand new matched pair of gold pin Electro Harmonix 5751's came very very close to the Tele's. I bought mine at Boi Audio Works for $38.00 a pair. I strongly suggest trying these.

You might also consider some of the EI brand 12ax7s. I tried the silvers and while good, they had a bit to much sparkle for my system.

I tried several powercords on my Jolida. All had some impact but my best results were with a Virtual Dynamics power 3 (used 1.5m about 100.00). I like the VD brand PCs but I had good results with Signal Cable, MIT, and Transparent brand cables as well.

To sum up. I would try a few changes, especially tubes, before you decide to change. The Jolida is one sweet and seriously capable CDP. I liked having the SS DAC along with the tube CDP. Some recordings sounded better on the DAC than tubes ...not many though!
All right. I've already sent an email to Andy asking for my spiff =).

I bet your going to like the sound with those in. If you dont, maybe try one more set of tubes and if it still doesnt work out, sell the whole setup and rest assured you gave it a thorough attempt.