Anyone using Joule Electr VZN100 MKIII amplifiers?

I´m considering the purchase of a LA150/VZN100 combo to drive Merlin VSM-M speakers in a small listening room. Any detailed comments about sonic quality of this system will be very appreciated (please, only people who has really heard it or own it...I´ve read all the show reviews but I really need first hand comments). What´s about the noise level with this preamp-amp combo? Is the combo really silent dead? If not, how much noise can I expect?
TIA.
fiuczynski2002021d

Showing 1 response by potsey

greetings,
I owned a Unison pre amp, but it had no phono section, so I purchased a Joule 100 with phono. I have had it about 2 months and I could not be happier. The bass responce is great, mids are rich and seductive as is the case with most high end tubed units and the highs are detailed and extended without a trace of harshness. It is a unit that one can listen to for hours without tiring. The unit is dead quiet and although I don't own a Joule power amp I have heard the combo on many ocassions and have been impressed by the performance each time, so much so that I am looking for a Joule power amp as we speak. There have been a couple of Marquis on Audiogon but when the price is right they don't last long. I heard a Stargate with a pair of Maggies 3.6 and IMHO it didn't drive them to their full potential but the Marquis and Grand Marquis are wonderful with planar speakers. Good luck with your purchase. If you come across a good deal that you are not interested in, please let me know.
James [email protected]