Anyone use a Belles 150A to drive a difficult load

I have been driving a large ribbon-hybrid (Flatline 175's--you never heard of them) with a Music Reference RM-9 (tubes, 100W/side) and the amp really can't hanndle the weird load (down to 2 ohms)though , at low volume, the sound is beutiful. The Belles is not a high current design but current isn't everything. Has anyone tred to use this amp for Maggies, or other cranky speakers? I listen mostly to large scale classical stuff and value timbral accuracy and beauty of sound above all other considerations but I like dynamics and bass, too. I have a VPI 19-4, Moerch arm, Grado cart, Mod 3 preamp, Flatline and Luminous Audio cables in a 2300 cubic foot moderately dead room. Thanks, folks.
rpfef

Showing 1 response by bigtee

As I can't agree with the above statements to the tonality of the Belles 150A, I will agree it is not the amp for extremely demanding loads. I used the 150A Hotrod with my Vandersteen 3A Signatures while being between amps. I thought its harmonic structure and truth in timbre was excellent. It just didn't have the ultimate in transparency. I'm now using a Belles 350A which is light years ahead of the 150A. Can't believe they come from the same family. It replaced my Theta Dreadnaught. I found it to be a more accurate amp while still maintaining a truth in timbre.