Anyone use 100v or 220v gear with a transformer?

Is there a downside to using a 100v or 220v amplifier with a step-down or step-up transformer to convert to 120v?
128x128tvad

Showing 8 responses by tvad

Thanks, Shadorne. I am specifically interested in a tube amplifier that draws 195w maximum according to the manufacturer's spec sheet.

The step-down transformer manufacturers suggest a maximum load of no higher than 90% of the transformer's rated wattage. So, if I use a step-down transformer rated for 300w I should be fine, yes?

05-13-07: Pauly
300w is going to be too small. It will 'work', but you'll probably find the amp sounding constrained. Any transformer with a 1KVA rating should do.
According to the electrical conversion formulas on this page, 1 kVa would equal 1000 watts.

If the maximum draw of the amplifier is 195 watts, how will providing 1000 watts be more beneficial than providing 500 watts (or more than double the maximum draw of the appliance)?

Also, the amplifier uses a 5a fuse, so 100v X 5a = 500 watts. The amp's fuse blows at 500 watts, so supplying more than 500 watts seems superfluous, yes?
But 117v gear for a 117v country.
[email protected]
Specifically what equipment have you heard while using a step-down transformer, and what was the voltage conversion used?

BTW, welcome to Audiogon. Thanks for posting your first two answers in this thread.
Interesting and informative answers from everyone. Most agree (including the manufacturer's Japanese representative) that a step down transformer can be used without problem.

The issue of sonics is the quagmire. Other than the mention of degraded sonics here, the only other mention of this has been from a US dealer. Clearly, there could be an agenda with the dealer, but I also am not willing to dismiss the possibility of degradation.

I have decided to forego purchasing the Japanese unit.
The ability of the 100v unit to function on 110-120v either straight to the wall or with a step-down transformer was not the issue. Sonic degradation was an issue, as was safety and warranty service, which would have required shipping the unit to Japan for service if it was required.

I spoke with someone today who is intimately involved with tube gear, and who has no agenda whatsoever, and his advice was to buy the 120v USA version.

I'll have to admit, it was difficult passing up the opportunity to buy the Japanese model for 45% less than the US version with 120v transformers (and nothing else different), and because of the large price differential I will likely explore other integrated amplifiers.