Anyone try Synergistic Research PHT...

transducers on their cartridge/headshell? Wondering if this really improves sound, and which type do you use. Thanks.
hiendmuse

Showing 4 responses by philb7777

'Listener bias is huge, once one has paid good money for a tweak.'

Quote of the year Lewm!!
I've been watching this thread in amazement and quite surprised in the emotional outcries it caused, which was unintended on my part.

Well, I tried the blue velvet PHT today. The device weighed around 0.015g. I heard no discernible difference at all. Had a friend of mine blind me and put the device on and off without my knowing which was which. We did not account for its weight effect on VTF due to the changing out sequence. Cart was a Dyna XV-1t. We then did it on my friends system too on a Lyra Atlas. Same result - no appreciable difference in sound. Bottom line is when you have your cart dialed in properly, I'm doubting one would even desire a tweak such as the PHT. At least the blue one. Of course, everyone's system and listening preferences (and probably bias too) will vary.
I think blinded listening removes a great deal of bias. And I agree with everyone, bias is bidirectional, for liking or disliking sound. The money back guarantee (it was my friends purchase of the PHT) helps removing bias as there is nothing to lose but the hassle of returning a product and requesting money back.

Just to give another example: I went to audition a pair of loudspeakers 300 mi away. I really wanted to like them before driving and listening and was prepared to purchase. After auditioning, I was less than blown away and drove home empty handed. I wanted and was ready for a purchase that day. I had a preconceived bias from reading the reviews and internet that I would love these speakers. Despite that bias, I didn't.

By the way Lewm, the PHT does appear to have some magnetic properties. When resting it on my digital tracking force gauge, it made the baseline fluctuate before ever touching the weighing platform. It also has some weak magnetic attraction to another magnet. The perceivable change in sound some may hear are if ones cantilever isn't precisely in the plane of the carts internal magnetic field. This PHT would have an effect on the carts magnets, maybe aligning things better. This may explain the lack of effect on both my friends and my cart - both are new with < 200 hours on them. I imagine that the PHT may have more effect on well-loved carts with several hundred hours on them. Just a guess though.....
Sbayne, it was my friends purchase and I think he will be returning the PHT. We just simply couldn't notice a difference switching back and forth, each of us blinded, between with and without the Blue Velvet PHT. If anything, although both of us skeptical, we both actually wanted to hear a difference. Who wouldn't want improvement in sound for that low a price and the ease of application of the device!

The PHT's may very well be cart-depedent. Who knows, but if it makes a positive difference to those who have purchased and kept them, I say that is great and think its awesome to get improvement with tweaks that are relatively inexpensive. I wish there were more of them in this expensive hobby/passion of ours.