Anyone tried the Zu Denon 103 yet?

Has anyone tried the Zu Denon 103 cartridge? How does it compare to the stock 103 or the 103R? Thanks.
rgurney

Showing 3 responses by tonyptony

Yeah, I had the same feeling about this. I would have liked to have read a comparison which included the 103R. Better yet, I'd have been interested to find out if Zu was considering this same kind of mod for the "R".
Hdm, these are all very good points you raise. I would add that another option is the mods that are done by Soundsmith up in Peekskill, NY.

There is a fellow on AA that had written up a very detailed positive review of a Uwe bodied 103R. I guess the part that leaves me with a question is - the 103 and 103R are already kind of full sounding carts. Not as full as some, but I don't know that I'd call them thin or light, or nimble or super-articulate. The few things I've read about the Uwe mod in this area seems to suggest that this part of the Denon sound is enhanced, maybe improved, but I don't get the sense that it corrects some of the problems brought on by this inherent fullness. The slight softness in the low end, as an example.
Hdm, in regard to changing too much of the natural coherence of the 103R, I tend to agree with you on this point. Cmk above seems to have had good luck with a retip. From his descrition it sounds like the essential character of the Denon remains.

My 103R is still new enough to where I have many more hours to go before I consider a retip, unfortunately.