Anyone tried the Zu Denon 103 yet?

Has anyone tried the Zu Denon 103 cartridge? How does it compare to the stock 103 or the 103R? Thanks.
rgurney

Showing 1 response by johnnyb53

Art Dudley reviews the Zu Audio DL-103 in the December '07 Stereophile. He compared it with the stock DL-103 but (unfortunately) not the DL-103R, which would have been interesting: Which has more effect, the 103R enhancements or taking the guts nude and mounting them in a machined aluminum block? He did, however, compare the Zu to the Koetsu Black ($1600) and Miyabi 47 (abou $4K).

He had this to say about the comparisons:

...In my system, the [Koetsu] Black has lots of beautiful tone and texture, while souding less colored, less pungent, than either version of the DL-103. But for all that, the Zu DL-103 in particular was capable of sounding bigger, and had a better, more impactful way with uptempo music. In that respect, the Zu was more stirring--more involving--than all but my Miyabi 47. Really.

He ended his review with this sentence, referring to high end journalism's practice of calling some low-cost components "giant-killers:"

The Zu doesn't just slay giants: It rips their beating heart from their chests, shows it to them, finishes them off, then chases their souls and drags them down to hell. Recommended.
With a review like that, the Zu cartridge will probably be seriously backordered in, oh, about 10 minutes.

Moderators: I trust that my quotes fall within "fair use" guidelines, are therefore not copyright infringement, and won't damage sales potential for this issue of Stereophile.