Anyone Totally Content With Their System?

Thought this might be fun. Is anyone out there totally content right now with their system? If so, what is your set-up, total cost and how long did it take you to get to this utopia? I post this in the "Speakers" forum because that is my particular obesession for some reason.
Ag insider logo xs@2xitball
11-28-06: Shadorne

it is hard to be content with a stereo system when live music is so much more satisfying. after attending a recital of acoustic performances, i have no interest in listening to any stereo system for a while.

not my experience at all. I often go to a live performance and I am frustrated with both the audio and the quality of the musicians playing...a great live performance is rare local occurence compared to the quality of what you can find at the music store.

Shadorne, are you talking about live ACOUSTIC performances like Mrtennis? If so, then maybe you have an amazing system. If you are talking about a live ELECTRONIC performance, then you are not talking apples w/ apples.

IME, a stereo cannot approach a live acoustical performance, and I agree with Mrtennis. However, I have heard electronic performances that are poorly set up, with poor amps/speakers, that I feel I've heard better at home. I can agree with you in this situation.

Cheers,
John
Post removed 
Well I've attended a lot of recitals and listened to a lot of small jazz goups, including at Shelly's Manne-Hole, and I'm always amazed at how close the sound in my room is to that I remember.

I am content with both stereo and 5.1 audio, but I want to determine if moving my Sony 36 XBR from between the front LR speakers improves the depth of soundstage. Setups with really outstanding soundstaging always seem to have the speakers farther into the room than I can without blocking access, so this weekend I hope to find out how much if any improvement there is in removing the TV.

And that brings me to my point of discontent: Size and configuration of video. I plan to replace the 36 XBR with either a 70" Sony SXRD RP or a plasma/LCD combined with a pull down screen for FP, depending on the result of the experiment this weekend.

db
being content with a system, and enjoying listening to music are two entirely different things. it is posible to be a music lover and an audiophile, but hey, i can enjoy music coming from another home, my AM car radio, or my wife's table top in the kitchen with god knows what stacked in front of it. when it comes to my systems, its more about cool equipment that resembles (by definition)high fidelity. when the mood is right, the last thing i care about is the sorce.
Shadorne, are you talking about live ACOUSTIC performances like Mrtennis?

Absolutely, the real live symphony orchestra, opera, ballet, quartets and such. I will be the first to admit that the visual and spatial cues of real music in a real live venue are more REAL than from a stereo system but real does not for me equal better enjoyment if good seats, great acoustics and great musicianship are all too rare and performances are very expensive. A $20 CD makes me very content with my system and I think it is a great bargain compared to the mixed bag that I get live....not only can you get better quality sound but you get to pick the best performances from the best artists and bring them home. Furthermore you can hear more detail with repeated playings....something that you only get to do live if you actually are a musician yourself.

If I lived in Boston or Chicago then I admit that I might feel a bit differently. Perhaps I am too jaded by the quality of performances widely available on CD compared to the local symphony orchestra - perhaps it isn't fair on these local artists that they have to compete with World's best on a $20 CD...but that is the way it is.