Anyone listen to the new Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to listen
to the new CJ CT5 preamp? I believe it is the replacement
for the 17LS2 but I'm not certain. I really would be curious
to know how the CT5 stacks up against the 16LS2. If anyone
has had any experiences I would be very interested.

Cheers
Cmach
cmach

Showing 1 response by gocubs999

I know little of tube gear, but; stopped in for an audition of the Esoteric DV50s Universal Player. I am one of those that got caught up in the Harmon mess and was given a new Lexicon RT10 as a replacement for my Proceed PMDT (God I loved that unit when it worked - Anyone looking for a RT10?). Listened to the CJ5 Pre with Manley 250 mono's, Joseph Audio Pearls and a variety of Transport/Players(Esoteric X01, Meridan G98 and Esoteric DV50s). First it immediately dawned on me that I have a long way to go before getting to nirvana. The system was outstanding. The clarity, transparency and detail was stunning. Listened to Ben Harper "Fighting for your mind". It sounded as if he was planted between the speakers with a mike. The mid bass and bass attack was tight and exact. My HO, the X01, DV50s then Meridan G98. actually, I went back in fourth between the X01 and DV50s and the differences were....well...subtle to say the least.
Like a broker I feel compeled to admit that I bought the DV50s for all around use. Needless to say this experience has only fed my insatiability to want to make improvements in my system. Oh well...the journey is.....