Anyone listen to the Bel Canto e.One S300i amp???

I need to get an integrated amp for my family room/ kitchen setup. I need a good amp to drive Monitor Audio Gold Signature 10's. The main criteria for this amp is that it can not be any deeper than 13" deep, it has to fit inside a built in cabinet that's next to a fireplace. Currently I'm using an old Nakamichi TA4a receiver.. I'd like to get something better.. Rest of the system is a Bel Canto Dac 1, Squeezebox 3, Anti Cable speaker wire, Transparent ML Super, Sterovox digital cable.. I'm hoping someone has listened to the new Bel Canto S300i, I don't want a bright amp. Thoughts anyone???
erikminer

Showing 3 responses by duane

Hello,

Every Bel Canto product is very bright and digital sounding. You have gotten away with it so far because the Monitor Audio speakers are warm and smooth plus you have Transparent cables that are rolled off in the top end. Of you get the amp it may push you over the edge. It will be much more refined and less grainy than the NAK you have but with the same tonal balance.

Musical Fidelity has a new X series integrated amp that has a tube input stage with outboard power supply that is very small. It has the refinement of their KW series without having to pay for the brute force.

It is not warm even though it is tubes. In fact, I think it is a tadd thin but not nearly as bright as Bel Canto. With the warmth of your speakers and cables it may be a perfect match.

By the way, the tubes they use have super long lives close to 10,000 hours.

Thanks,
Duane
Hello Coffeey,

I do like the Rotel digital amp. I think it sounds better than any of the other Rotal amps and it was a shocker because I didn't like any other digital amps before this one. I have never heard Bel Canto in my system but I have heard it in many systems including Bel Canto systems at trade shows and it has always been dry and 2 dimensional but very clean, much like Spectral equipment.

I went to their place when I was in Minneapolis and they played a music DVD on their theater system and a 2 channel system and both were un-involving and almost annoying in how sterol they were.

If it is working great for you then awsome. I would asume you have warm speakers, cables, or a well damped room.

Thanks,
Duane
Hello Once Again,

My criticism of the Bel Canto's sound is based on sound not the fact that it is digital. In my post near the top I admitted that the Rotel sounded smooth and refined and I said it was the best amp Rotel has ever made.

Because the Monitor Audio Gold series is very smooth and warm it would be a good match but that just confirms my belief that Bel Canto is bright. Clean, yes, detailed, yes, detailed because it is bright and accentuating the level of detail, yes. Just like Spectral, Dunlavey, and Thiel.

Duane