Anyone here with Magico A3 driven by Bel Canto Ref600's?

Contemplating the A3's and would like to know if the REF600M will drive them properly. Currently using Martin Logan Montis and these aren't a great indication of what these amps can and will do.
128x128tgun5

Showing 11 responses by tgun5

Thanks for your insight Audio Troy but I've also been in the industry for awhile (45 years). My question really comes from the fact that the 600M's are currently driving the electrostatic panel only (340Hz -up) and are certainly not taxed in any way under these conditions. 

I'm running a PSA BHK preamp with the PSA Directstream Memory Player and PSA DAC. The combination is heaven with the Bel Canto's.
If anything, the Magico's will improve upon the strengths of this combo rather the opposite. 

Coming from PBN Audio Denali monoblocks, which had tons of power/reserve, I was curious to know whether the Bel Canto's had the "guts" to drive a non-ported 88db speaker.

FYI - I never thought I would own a Class D amplifier, however, these are pretty incredible sonically.

Tgun5
aka Docaudio1
Most 600M reviews, and I would disagree with you. While they are not class A/B they have a magic of their own. What shortcomings that have, which are few, can be tamed or enhanced, whichever it may be, with the correct interconnect, power cord, etc. etc. I find that they sound better using balanced in, but then, isn't this the case with all SOTA products? I'm not talking about balanced vs unbalanced. I'm saying it takes time, effort, and experimentation to tweak out the very best of components in this class.  

I owned a high-end store for 15 years so I am well aware of and have owned some of the top amps in history. I could give you a laundry list as well but I won't.

To disparage an amp that has this few shortcomings is ridiculous. I believe your viewpoint comes from the fact that you just don't like Class D amplification. I get it. I was there once. 

One more positive......I now don't have to turn my air conditioner on high prior to listening because my room is 100 degrees due to my amplifiers. LOL
Audio Troy - again, listen please. Simple question.....does anyone one here have both and can give me an assessment. READ the original post header!

You are too busy trying to share your vast audio knowledge which is not helpful to me. 

And....I must have touched a nerve as twice you mention I should know better as a previous industry member. 

I can tell you this. In my vast experience as a business owner, I would never engage a potential customer on this level. 

Nothing will transpire from this useless arguing  so I'm done with this post
Same crap, different post. I ask a simple question that only required a simple answer and the wanna be expert chimes in with opinions. I don't care what your opinion is on ANY equipment as I'm confident in my own. Audio Troy, you own neither Bel canto not Magico A3's so you bring nothing to the table.

Stay out of the conversation

I will admit that I was angry a few posts back and apologize for that.

Thanks to those who have posted relevant and interesting posts since. I agree that it's unlikely someone here will have the combination - I just gave it a shot. We all know how difficult it is to hear product these days with stores being so far apart (or non-existent). 

My disappointment lies in how some here use their agenda to answer posts. The very first response I received was to tell me my amps weren't sonically adequate among other issues. NOT the information I asked for. Then, I have to read sentence upon sentence about the vast knowledge he has. Blah blah blah blah.......

I can guarantee everyone here that the Bel Canto Ref600m is ANYTHING BUT dry and mechanical sounding. 
Again ....still spewing your crap about class D. Let me make it as clear as possible. This ain't about class D or you opinions. It's your need to continue an argument that has long since been over. It's your need to take a simple question and turn it into "I've got a better solution for you" I told you in unequivocal terms that I don't care. I love the amps. 

I've got a friend that recently put an ad on audigon selling his Calypso preamp. He received a call from a guy in New Jersey identifying himself as a dealer. He just called to tell my buddy that his opinion was that he should be selling his Plinius amp rather than the Calypso. I would bet money it was you. 

My friend was taken back by the whole thing. "Who would have the audacity to do such a thing?" He said.

And this is my point. Don't enter conversations just to just to sell your agenda or show how intelligent you are. I find your posts belittling.

This really is the last post I will make on the subject. Feel free, however, to waste more time trying to sell me an amp.

AudioTroy,

I promised I wouldn't post again but you finally have won me over! Your arguments are compelling and this is a compilation of what I heard from all of your posts:

Your amps stink

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I'm an expert

Blah bubba blah blah bub blah blah blah bub blah blah blah blah blah

I know everything

Blah blah blah blah bub blah blah blah bub blah blah blah blah

I won't stop posting

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Your amps stink

Ok, I'm ready to concede. I'm selling my whole system and will be buying everything you recommend to replace it. Things are indeed looking up! Thanks for your help.

It's sad that there are so many small dealers/sellers here that hi-jack threads for their own purpose. Other than a few constructive answers, I'm really sorry to have started another discussion on Audiogon.

I have many Hi-Fi friends and industry acquaintances who refuse to post or answer posts here - primarily because of these narcissistic audiophiles.. It's a shame because all of them could bring vast experience to the forums.

I've been here since 2000 and have only posted 130 times. It's because most conversations go sideways and get ugly like this one. I don't particularly like to argue or defend my position when asking for help. For this reason it will probably be another few years before I post again.

This could be a much better place
Follow-up on the combination. I've surpassed 300 hours on the Magico's and the Bel Canto's drive them spectacularly. The bass is well controlled, defined, and tight. These speakers really highlight the capabilities of these amps, rather than the opposite as some have suggested. Couldn't be happier!