Anyone here own Elac Vela SF 409?

Looking to purchase these in January. 

They appear to tick all the boxes (sufficiently tall with drivers located in upper half of cabinet, no rear port, smooth high end, rated down to 28Hz, WAF acceptable, not too heavy).

Reviews tend to be very positive but as there's little mention of them, here, I'm 

wondering whether they have flaws I've yet to read about.

but as they never seem to be mentioned here, I'm wondering if they have flaws I've yet to hear about. 

stuartk

Showing 7 responses by stuartk

@tablejockey:

"You won’t know until they’re in your room."

Yes-- I realize this, that's why I never buy anything I cannot return if neccesary. 

What I'm trying to ascertain is, whether their apparent lack of popularity, here, is indicative of some significant flaw that I ought to know about.

I've never spent this much for speakers before, so perhaps I'm just being paranoid. 

@tablejockey :

Due to the fact that my system is in our living room, I have constraints that I likely would not have were it located in a dedicated room. These constraints narrowly limit my speaker options, which could be seen as an advantage, given my tendency to approach audio rather obsessively. Having a great many choices might prove counter-productive.

If the Elacs do not work out, I don't have any compelling alternatives, so wish me luck!

BTW: my understanding is,  Andrew Jones had nothing to do with the design of the Vela 409's. 

Thanks for your interest.

@audiotroy:

Thanks, but  I'm planning to buy the Vela FS 409 floor-standers.

What is your opinion of those??????? 

@audiotroy:

I apologize if I misunderstood. I can be a bit too literal at times in communication, so when I read this:

"the vellas are amoung our favorite  sub 2k monitors

great detail without being too forward , a clean midrange and a huge sound-stage

they are really great",

I assumed you were speaking exclusively about the monitors and not the floor-standers as well.  I do appreciate your input. 

@audiotroy:

Great-- I appreciate the clarification!

I see no reason not to try them, in that case.