Anyone heard the Consonance Cyber 800 amps?

Was just looking through the specs on these cool looking mono-blocks and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

What type of speakers will they drive? Are they OK with an electrostat? Overall sound character? etc?

I read the review from HiFi+ which was quite favorable, which has now piqued my interest.

Thanks to any & all responders!
denf

Showing 6 responses by mrjstark

I own Cyber 800 for about a year and I'm very happy with them . I got them from a N.J show room of "Quest for Sound" . I talk to Steve (owner of the store & dealer for Opera Audio line) before the show about these amp. but simply could not commit financially. At the end of the show he gave me an offer I couldn't resist. After getting home I set them up with my Martin Logans Aerius I & listen. I was very impressed what I was hearing. The vocal were cleaner more redefine , stage was deeper with more layers then before. Bass was punchier & over all more musical in the same time. Sound became more like real music (isn't it what we all want). My McIntosh witch I used before simply could not keep up with Cybers. Recently I replace original tubes with NOS tubes from Amperex 6922 white label made in Holland(1960)& Tungsol 5687 from early 1960's , also replaced stock EL34 with JJ blue new line. After installing new tubes sound became more sweeter , even better sound stage then before , very tree dimensional and better resolucion . About two months ago I purchase Vandersteen Quatro witch in my humble opinion are the best speakers for the money (I was also looking at Opera M-15 but they are to big for my New York apartment). I was a little concern about Cyber 800 driving new speakers at first , because they are only 78 watts per channel. My worries quickly disappear . Cybers had no problems driving Vandys. The 300 watts amp. ( driving bass units ) build in Vandys properly helped. If you are looking for natural, musical and universal amp( accepts EL34,KT88 and 6550's witch will bring it to 110 watts per channel ) look no farther. Take my word for it. You will save a large amount of money & you will be happy for a long time.
I'm sorry for confusion about other tubes that I said can be used with cyber 800. I personally did not try it. I got this information from one of the papers Steve from "Quest for Sound" gave me when I purchase these amps. If in fact these tubes can not be used with Cyber 800 amps. I will contact Steve & ask him for clarificacion. If those brochures give misleading information they should be removed immediately from his shop display section. Ones again I apologize for any confusion this may cost. Sincerely M.Stark
Joe. Thank You for clarification. P.S I did not know that Steve isn't a OPERA dealer any more ( have not talk to him in a while ). I'm very surprise , because Consonance was probably one of his most successful lines. Anyway, thanks again. Sincerely ; M.Stark
Cybers feature auto-bias. It's auto biasing each tube for maximum performance.
Dear Trejla.
I agree with you a 100% about magical midrange & phenomenal ability to reproduce vocals of Cyber 211. Choosing Cybers 800 was a difficult decision which was base on two factors.
1. Motivating reason for purchasing 800s was significant discount ( SHOW demo pair ).
2. I like they ability of reproducing different kinds of music equally well. In my opinion they didn't have any significant weaknesses but I have to admit that they didn't shine in any particular area neither. In general a very universal amp. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Now going back to your last post. Your idea of modifying 211 & making them comparable with 845 tubes sounds very interesting and tempting in the same time. Trelja can you help me out with some questions regarding your modificacion and my speakers?
1. I love jazz & blues but I also like to ROCK the house sometimes. That's one of the reasons I choose Cyber 800. Do you think that 211-modify will rock my boat or only classic, jazz, small band & acoustic recordings would benefit from this mod?
2.Vandersreen Quatros sensitivity is: 87dB - do you think 211 will have enough power and authority to drive them ( I'm a little sceptic to be honest )?
3.If the answer is yes can this upgrade be provided with possibility of a trade in?
Sincerely M.Stark
To: Joe Trelli

Have a Good time Joe ( you deserve it )! I'll talk to you soon.

M.Stark