Anyone heard Cary 303/300 after 400 hours burn-in?

Has anyone had a positive experience with a correctly functioning Cary 303/300 CD player using high quality N.O.S. tubes, and after having used a high quality burn-in cd and music for a minimum and proper break-in period of 400 hours?

Has anyone had a positive experience with Cary's Technical and Service department in Apex, N.C.?

Has anyone had a positive experience with the 303/300 using the balanced outputs into a high end, non-budget balanced preamp (or directly) into a non-budget balanced amp and high end, non-budget speakers via high quality, non-budget intercnnects and cables?

Although some folks do not believe in modifications, has anyone had a positive experience with modifying a Cary 303/300 CD player?

There are always some folks that feel a certain piece of audio gear just does not suit their expectations, but, there are many variables with audio gear, when properly addressed, the very same gear may exceed the expectations of other Audiophiles.

I am looking for new friends to share your positive experiences with the Cary 303/300 CD player.
levchappy

Showing 4 responses by pehare

Worked fine & sounds great since I bought it new a couple years ago. I prefer the SS section to the tube in my setup running direct into the amp. I've even tried the recommended NOS Radiotechniques tubes. Upsampling off all the time. The 3V output of the 303 thru it's RCA's is just right in my rig.
Hey skibrain1 - go to Cary Audio website at top go to "Support" then "Product Support" and you can download owners manuals for any of their past or present models.  I'm still using my 303/300 although awhile back I had to change out the laser drive unit (did myself that I bought from Cary).  I can't be much help w/upsampling - I always use mine in SS mode w/upsampling off.  Enjoy! 
You're right George that is a great player however if I'm not mistaken it doesn't have the internal analog volume control which is why I like the 303/300.  I owned the 306/200 way back which had the same DAC which was great but stupidly sold it to try some other players.  Wish I still had it.  The 303/300 in SS mode direct into my Music Reference RM10 MKII is a bad ass simple setup.  If I didn't have this player I'd probably be using your lightspeed passive.
George I could swear I remember hearing or reading the 303/200 didn't have a volume control & I was told the 303/300 & 306/200 had analog volume controls but I'm not a tech person just a music lover.  Anyway at some point I'll have to do something else perhaps move into the 21st century with some kinda computer based rig.  Vinyl is not an option.  Or buy a newer reliable kick ass cd player & get your passive - just hate to lose the simplicity ie less wires & remote capability.