Anyone hear BPT Cirrus at RMAF 2008?

I checked these out on Audiogon and the BPT site. They certainly LOOK fascinating, with top notch drivers and construction. Did anyone have the opportunity to give them a listen? Your impressions?
128x128rja
Incredible speaker especially for the money. Compare it to the Magico Mini's. That ought to start the thread going.
I have heard the Cirrus speakers on two occasions. They are exceptionally good and a great bargain at the asking price. The RAAL ribbon tweater is especially noteworthy for its clean, tranparent, yet unforced sound. I have not had a chance to hear the Magico mentioned above but the Cirrus compares favorably with other monitors I have heard like the Dynaudio C1.
I am actually very interested in these myself. Thanks for starting a thread, as I have not had a chance to hear them in person. Dynaudio C1 and Magico Mini are pretty tall comparisons.
i had the chance to listen to them extensively at this year's rmaf. the big thing i noticed was the way the outperformend their size. like most monitors, they did a great job of conveying the scale of the recording space. also, they did not shy away from my bass tracks they had their limits but i really enjoyed the fact that they could go low enough to smooth out the blend with the subs. the other part i loved was the raal tweeter. i can't say enough good things about the realism of the raal tweeter. the tonality of a cymbal was a bit startling because i felt like i was watching someone play cymbals not just listening to a cd. on day 2 things went up another level. the midrange was wonderful because it blended with the raal and had a lifelike quality that i truly enjoyed. tonally it was a more complete presentation.this , combined with the other feature allowed the cirrus to become a more complete speaker to my ear's . i enjoyed thenm very much. i'm looking forward to what next year's rmaf will bring from chris and ryan.
Hey guys, I'm the builder of BPT's loudspeakers. I'll save my opinions of them :) But if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Cheers, Ryan
I would like to know how the various options affect the speakers sound. Thanks!
Use of the amorphous core in the RAAL tweeter takes micro-dynamics up a notch. It's akin to lowering the noise floor, you'll get a bit better center image focus and better definition of tiny detail. Even with the standard core the RAAL might have more micro-dynamics than any tweeter I've ever heard, with the amorphous core it's just spooky how delicate and detailed it can sound.

The crossover options offered are Teflon V-Caps as bypass, Clarity Cap MR throughout the crossover, and Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil. The standard crossover caps are good, that's what we showed at RMAF with V-Caps on the tweeter circuit only. Both the Clarity Cap and Mundorf options are if you want the best, and while the improvement is small, it is there. The Clarity Cap is if you want completely uncolored and neutral, the Mundorf gives a bit more of a lush sound with some warmth and musicality.

The primary characteristics I'd say of the Cirrus are absolute see-through transparency, and a fast - detailed - uncolored sound.
Thanks Turbo!
There's been some discussion on Audiogon about break-in times, especially the Mundorfs. Can you give break-in guidelines on these cap options as relates to the Cirrus?

Also, what are the optimal placement parameters for these? Stand height, back wall, side wall, toe-in etc. I know these parameters are dependent to some extent on the room but perhaps more general than specific suggestions would be helpful.

Is there a room size that would work best as I know some rooms are too small or too large for certain speakers?
Use of the amorphous core in the RAAL tweeter takes micro-dynamics up a notch. It's akin to lowering the noise floor, you'll get a bit better center image focus and better definition of tiny detail. Even with the standard core the RAAL might have more micro-dynamics than any tweeter I've ever heard, with the amorphous core it's just spooky how delicate and detailed it can sound.

The crossover options offered are Teflon V-Caps as bypass, Clarity Cap MR throughout the crossover, and Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil. The standard crossover caps are good, that's what we showed at RMAF with V-Caps on the tweeter circuit only. Both the Clarity Cap and Mundorf options are if you want the best, and while the improvement is small, it is there. The Clarity Cap is if you want completely uncolored and neutral, the Mundorf gives a bit more of a lush sound with some warmth and musicality.

The primary characteristics I'd say of the Cirrus are absolute see-through transparency, and a fast - detailed - uncolored sound.
^^^ Haha, I didn't post that

Rja, the Teflon V-Caps definately have a long break-in period where they'll change character noticable. I think some people are a bit excessive in saying hundreds of hours, I think it's more like 40-50 hours with the Teflons. The drivers themselves break in rather quickly, on full day of moderate volume will do it.

The Clarity Cap and Mundorfs break in but the changes is less obvious. They're pretty close to 100% within a few hours, in fact I'd bet many wouldn't even notice their changes.

They've voiced to be balanced/neutral 3-4 feet out from the wall. But they work within 18" of a wall just fine. They are rear ported, so need at least 12". For room size, I think the bigger the better. Their stage width and depth will just grow with bigger rooms. I've used them in pretty small rooms too with great result, it just won't have the expansive soundstage. Stands need to be 20-24" tall, your chair is a factor for choosing stand height ... but a 20" stand will put the listening axis 36" off the floor.

For the best combination of center image focus and overall stage size, I aim each tweeter at the outside ear. They're very linear off-axis in the horizontal plane, so tonality won't change with different toe axis', just the imaging will change.
Turbo,
Does the extreme extension on one end but not the other give this speaker a tipped up or bright character? Or, is this compensated for in the crossover network?
Well Rja, it doesn't work that way you know. Extension doesn't equal brightness. Imbalance is what equals brightness. And the FR is within 1.5db throughout the audible band. The bass is I think well balanced, the Cirrus sounds very close to "full range", and I think many will run them without subwoofers ... and be totally satisfied doing so.

The Audio Technology woofer is incredible in that regard, able to produce more bass output and impact than a single 7" driver has any right to do!
How does the Audio Technology woofer compare to SS revelator in bass? Overall? How does it compare to the Illuminator?