Anyone have any experience with the Naogoka MP110?

I am considering a Naogoka MP110 because I have read some positive reviews and it should be an improvement over my Ortofon Super OM10 with respect to base. Here is my main concern: I tried a Goldring GX cartridge and found that it rides too low for some of my records because they were slightly warped. When researching the MP110 I also found a similiar comment.

The one great thing about the Ortofon is that it is very forgiving when it comes to records that are not perfectly flat, and this leads me to the question of has anybody had any problems with the MP110 because it rides too low? The problem with the low-rider cartridges is that sometimes you can't play the first track because certain cartridges will bottom out.

One point I would like to make here is that with all the reviews, the problem with the cartridge bottoming out on slightly warped records is overlooked most of the time.

Thanks for your help!
marntz4me

Showing 2 responses by lewm

A lot of this has as much to do with compliance as with "ride height". An MM, like the Nagaoka, will tend to have a high compliance. This translates into bottoming out on warped LPs, if the tonearm mass is not helping to damp the action of the cantilever. You haven't mentioned what tonearm you are using with these cartridges.
It's not merely a matter of using the correct VTF. You also need to consider the effective mass of the tonearm. Somewhere in the lit that goes with your tt, Music Hall may reveal the figure for your tonearm. With a high compliance cartridge, you want a relatively low effective mass tonearm, i.e., <10g. I would keep it as simple as that. I should add that this matching is mainly to keep the tonearm/cartridge resonance point below audio frequencies (<<20hz) and above 5-6Hz, but I think proper matching will also ameliorate your problem.