Anyone ever sold off their dream system and why?

Did you ever build up a dream audio system that for all intents and purposes was maxed out, sounded great and cost more than you care to remember? And then did you break it back down and if so, why did you leave Nirvana? I'm at the cusp and maybe since I have had so (too) much gear go through, I discover that maybe I can do it as well or almost as well for WAY cheaper. That's why I'm stuck on the pendulum. I peaked at 80K MSRP for a CD/Turntable based system. I want to do it for half somehow. Crappy transport into Tact into Kharma is breathtakingly good, the more so since it's so cheap. If it's so hard to climb the mountain, why are we coming back down?
classicjazz

Showing 1 response by 3728slingshot

In the past month I have torn up what was supposed to be a system to last me years. Why? I have no idea. But in the end I think that I have actually raised performance in some ways.

Old - CAL Icon MkII - AQ Topaz - CJ Premier 2 - MIT MusiChord - Adcom 585 - Kimber 4PR - B&W CDM-1SE on Lovan stands.

New - CAL Icon MkII - DAC to be named later - Classe CAP-150 - Hales Relelation 3. Cables to be replaced as I get used to the system.

I actually didn't get really excited about the changes until the components started showing up ... then I was up all night with my wife ripping through the CD racks for great stuff to listen to ... which is what this is all about.