Anyone else grateful that they got hooked on this crazy addiction

I got home tonight after a 12 hour day of busting my ass for the IT company I work for and sat down in the single chair in my dedicated listening room and turned on Dido’s “Still on My Mind”. As I sat there listening with the lights off, I thought about the fact that the majority of the people in this world will never get to hear anything close to this kind of sound and I get to hear any track, at any time, at any volume I choose. Please don’t think that I am bragging about my system as I know that the majority of you have systems that put mine to shame. I am attempting to express how very grateful I am that I got into this amazing hobby, especially with all the crazy things that are happening in our world today.

As a lurker on this forum for a couple of years, I have read the great majority of the posts. Some with a chuckle, some with great awe and some with disgust. We all enjoy an amazing hobby that allows us to escape from the realities of life right in our own home.

My system consists of a Devialet Expert 250 Pro, Dynaudio Contour 60 speakers, a pair of REL S510 sub-woofers, AQ William Tell speaker cables, an Uptone Audio Etherregen, SOTM ethernet cable, AQ Tornado power cords, an AQ Niagara 1000 power conditioner, GIK acoustic room treatments and an SGC i5 Sonictransporter running Roon with 5TB of hi-res recordings and streaming Tidal and Qobuz. Once again, I am not bragging, and I am not looking for any comments about how good or bad my system is or could be. My goal is to give you some perspective about how lucky we are to be “audiophiles” in this crazy world.

When I sit down with a glass of scotch and put on whatever it is that trips my fancy that night, I can easily put the world out of my mind in under 5 minutes. Listening to what I think is an incredible soundstage and how I can be transported so quickly to the artist’s location is sometimes beyond belief. The best is those nights when you audibly mumble “holy sh-t” after an especially dazzling track.

We are a very lucky group of people to be able to sit down with our system that we have built with our own hands and hard-earned money. To think how much time we have spent reading forums and reviews as well as the never ending tweaking. Who would have thought that moving speakers ¼” would make that big of difference?

So, who else out there is grateful that we have these amazing systems in our homes and it would almost be welcomed to be quarantined for a couple of weeks?

desert38
     Absolutely!  
I have been thrilled ever since I got my RCA 45 rpm changer, followed by a Magnavox suitcase portable with a removable second channel, for stereo speaker., and adding a jukebox amp and speaker to this, through stacked Advents with Pioneer stereo, then Fisher quad, followed by Phase Linear 400, Stacked B&W DM14, 1400's, Maggies, 'Stats, and finally B&W 803's with subs. Audire and B&W, since 1970's, and Bryston electronics.
        It is still fun. especially with a single malt and a special smoke.
Yes from the very first electrical shock I absorbed as a kid playing around with my hifi toys.
Our system is powered down.
With both the wife & I out of work we cancelled our Tidal and Roon subscriptions to save money to buy toilet paper.
Now, if I could just find some...
I couldn’t agree more with the op.  Nicely written piece that really captures much of how I feel about this hobby.  At its worst, it’s  a silly but relatively harmless obsession for those with more money than sense - but the satisfaction we get from immersing ourselves in musical bliss is incredible, and especially valued at times like this.  
"More money than sense..."   That's a phrase you often see bandied about on the audio forums.  From my perspective, if you have the appreciation of music and sound quality, and you have the money, how sensible is it to deny yourself the pleasure of a great system?  I know I pretty much have spent my spare dough on recordings and better and better gear to appreciate them on since my first paper route at 10 years old.  The more spare on hand, the better the system gets!  (Now, borrowing money to play like this - - that's a line I cannot imagine crossing.)