Anyone else feel left out?

'Gons talk a lot about equipment (new or used) that is way beyond the financial means of most people. Thousands of dollars for a Dac? Ten thousand for a pair of mono blocks?
The pros and cons of 15k a pair speakers? Cabling that costs as much as college tuition? How about a system where the cd player is no more than $500, pre and power amp no more than $500 each, speakers no more than $1k a pair and cabling no more than $10 a foot. Jazz and classical music will be enjoyed. This would be a system that would still be superior to most home systems, but would be within the reach of a wider range of music fans. What are your recommendations for a system of new equipment, used equipment or a mix of both?
jw94055

Showing 1 response by ellery911

My system (used prices) falls within your budget constraints and I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Personally I think that a pretty good system can be put together for that amount (2500+/-) many people have done it here and there is an abundance of threads where people talk about the "budget" systems. Sure...people talk about the high $$$ gear also, but that is just the level they are at...where else are they gonna talk about it?

I think that part of the fun of this hobby is in the creation of the sub 3k 2 channel system that brings more enjoyment than a comparably priced surround system that clutters many of todays living rooms.

Someday though...I'll limit myself to 10-15k...but that's still alot less than some cables out there.

happy listening

Ellery