Anyone considering not buying Chinese products anymore?

I’ve been giving this some thought lately due to the current situation.  I’m not real knowledgable about this sort of thing but I feel like we, along with other countries, have helped make China very powerful with regards to their economy and military, which is a scary situation.  I’m starting to think it would be wise of us to not to support China, simply for our own well being.  This would mean not buying any audio products made in China.  Im not even sure its possible to completely quit buying products made in China because so much of what we use is made there but is it smart to cut back where we can and start supporting small business’ in America?  There’s plenty of excellent equipment made here...
128x128b_limo

Showing 21 responses by tomic601

Of course the 100% Merica team should listen to 100% Merica music.... from 1952 :-)
A billion plus soon to be middle class consumers..... think about that when you think numbers are on our side....

plan on exporting anything? Plan on competing with coal ? Rolling back mileage standards hurray for pickup trucks !!!!

While you were busy smashing Civics in the eighties , and imposing import quotas ( oh how short memory is ) they went right around the idiocy....

lather, rinse repeat...
Automation is capital, look to see who owns the Equity and Intellectual property for Fanuc, KuKa, etc.....

I May have spent a couple of hundred million USD in a past life on Automation... big and small....
But there is certainly some mighty fine gear designed and mostly made here to replace Primaluna - Aesthetix, VTL, ARC.... the list is long
Y’all get it, they will graduate more honors engineers than we will graduate Engineers in total....
No Big Ten Uni In Cleveburg where good old Dumpsterfire style Capitalism set the river ablaze... twice... I guessing the next one will be Mercury cause that’s how a for profit EPA rolls... No to reach the Big Ten ya have to travel South to Cow Town.

And because I put my $ or in this case time where my mouth is, I do pro bono consulting work for small American manufacturing companies, Union or not...

reach out
For those who claim the high ground in any of a multitude of dimensions, be sure to align your giving and investments to match your internet postings... Donor advised funds, green funds, human rights funds, etc, even Coal ( go ALL in !!!! Go long!!!! ) like pickups ? go long on Ford. short Tesla ( oops ). Like guns? Buy Ruger or Smith... the companies....

yes, I thought so...

never shopped at Walmart, but do you or your Mutual fund hold them...

Dig a LiL bit deeper...
Demming and Juran had to go to Japan to find an open mind in post war America.....

and Charlie, you should pay close attention to three characters in The Machine That Changed the World - Messrs Ohno, Iwata and Nakao. Why ? Iwata and Nakao widely credited with helping to save your ( and mine ) beloved Porsche from bankruptcy...
i know, I worked for two of them....

An excellent book for those with a quasi open mind, well actually four books:

The Reckoning- David Halberstam ( Pulitzer winner, sadly he missed out on the Noble ) History of Ford and Nissan
The Machine that changed the  World - Womak and Roos MIT ( I know not as smart as Liberty University) The sort of Kaizen and Toyota production system ( derived in part from Ford )

Factory Man - Furniture in NC and competing w China ( hint there is way )

Boom, Bust, Exodus - Chad Broughton - Maytag

sorry, none of these are Federalist Society coloring books....

Oldhvymec is your reach out comment aimed at me ?

i think you misunderstood my comment - it should be interpreted as :

IF you are a small American manufacturing or technology company seeking to compete globally then reach out for free help.

My list of clients is long. I have yet to step into a factory from China to Germany to Chile to Russia to Waco ( Chrysler Airborne Technologies) ...Batesville Indiana, the list is long ( I have one of those million mule cards ) That the tools I have been blessed to receive, could not help.

hopefully you meant some other reach out...
@oldhvymec I have Halibut and Smoked salmon, what ya got to barter ? 

you missed my earlier ?
A funny and true story...

because a promise is my bond, when a certain team achieved a goal they all got a monetary award and importantly to them a commemorative T shirt that they got a hand in designing the artwork.... they had two additional requests : a pocket AND Made in America....
They were all Union members, so naturally when we needed 3,300 T shirts, we reached out to the local to see where they sourced the contract negotiation shirts - they said “ not in the USA and pockets add a buck “...
so we search and found a made in USA pocket tee for $3 extra.... that’s the route we took...
draw your own conclusions but those shirts were loved....
and fun to deliver...
But speaking of Kim, we seem to have embraced with zero progress I might add, the murderer of his half brother. Looks to me like the Art of the Deal dude got slow rolled right in the ditch.

Ditto with MSB and his bonesaw.

tell me again about the high ground of moral authority 
@ghasley First , thank you for your service ! What well thought out, passionate and articulate posts :-) pick one of those books and it will be on the way to you soon - a sort of barter of food for the mind
Same to you Limo for starting this, pick one...

and the guy who understands the long game of industrial policy ( but I suspect you could write them )

“ in the field of opportunity it’s plowing time again “ a Canadian import....

so all this talk? Anybody moving $$$ into purely American funds or starting an American manufacturing business? Buying that set of Cutco knives ?