Anybody used Nikko amps before?

Hi, I would like to know if anybody here ever used Nikko amps and pre amps? If so, how would you classified its quality and sound? Does is stand up to todays electronics? The reason for my question is because there aren't to much info out there. What I do know is Nikko is no longer made. Thanks for your concern and happy listening. :)
Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

Showing 1 response by steveberens2248

The 70's Nikko home audio stuff was pretty decent. Not outstanding, but decent. To expect the "absolute sound" from these pieces would be ludicrous, they were never marketed that way. For what I've seen on ebay (with a few exceptions) the Nikkos are a bargain when you can find them. Sound is so subjective anyway (if so-called audiophiles had any idea how the original signal gets mangled by even the best recording consoles, they would not be so condescending and snobbish). I owned an Alpha/Beta/Gamma stack in the late 70's and I got what I paid for. Very reliable product for the most part. If the price seems right, buy it. Some of the brands I have seen touted on the Internet from this era were highly unreliable. This goes for the "high-end" as well. It always pays to visit your local long-established Audio Store if you have one and ask the techs about what they think of the equipment's reliability. Fisher and Sanyo merged at one point for goodness sake, does that tell you anything? By the way I have over 28 years of audio recording, audio sales, and general hi-fi neurosis to my credit.