Anybody tube rolled 845's?

I have a pair of Cary CAD-211AE monoblocks, so I need four 845 tubes. I already have tubes supplied by Cary but these are made in China. I am curious to try different tubes but given the cost of 845's and the fact I need four of them this could prove to be a very expensive exercise!

I am curious to try to KR Audio and the Cetron ones. Both of these are quite a bit cheaper than the RCA 845 (which I understand is the best).

Anyone like to share their experience? Also please state what amp you have and what effect the change had on your system.
amfibius

Showing 1 response by nickt

I have the Cary 211AE also. Like you I was curious about the RCA 845s and eventually was lucky enough to find four. The Chinese 845s are great for the money but they sound flat, bright and sterile vs the RCA. The RCA 845s are more 3D, throw a bigger soundstage, life-like midrange, silky treble.
I dont use the RCAs everyday though, only on special occasions. I plan to have the RCAs for my retirement in thirty years. For daily listening the Chinese 845s will do. At this time, you probably wont find four RCA 845s. I would try the Cetron or GE just so you know what they sound like. They do take your amps to another level. Have fun.
Nick