Any VAC Phi 30/30 Owner's?

Hi:

I am the happy owner of a VAC Phi 30/30 amp, having stretched my budget when it came up on Audiogon a few months ago. This must be a rare piece, as I really haven't seen any posts by other owners. It's extremely refined and airy, but I suspect it's true potential is being masked by my Audible Illusions Mod 3a preamp. The speakers are Reynaud Trentes with Kimber Select KS-3035 cables. I'd like to upgrade the preamp but my budget is limited to the Modwright 9.0SE, Supratek Syrah or used Cary SLP-98P range. Are their any other VAC owners who could suggest a synergistic move within my budget of around $2,000? Would it be worth going to cheaper speaker cables to extend my available budget for electronics? I prefer a full function preamp, as I listen to vinyl.
garyralph

Showing 2 responses by 711smilin

I would get the Dodd Audio reference linestage, or new battery powered. I have compared my reference to world class pre-amps, and prefer the dodd.
I have the reference linestage now, but, should have my battery powered in about 30 days, or so. I have pre-paid for it. I have compared, side by side, in my system with the Act 2, and blowtorch, and prefer the RLS of Gary's, cost not considered. Man oh man, whatabargain.