Any thoughts on Reference Audio Mods Denon 3910?

I am trying to decide between RAM, APL, and Modwright to mod this machine. They all sound intriguing, and take differnet approaches. The RAM w/all options seems to be a good bang for the buck.
krisgel

Showing 1 response by hollyp

Danlib said

My understanding is that the Exemplar 3910 mod is better still (I find that hard to believe :)

I have to agree, not because I've heard one but because of this. Neither the Denon 2900 or 3910 were ever going to set the world alight for basic 2 channel reproduction (in their unmodified states) and I suspect side by side in a blind listening session, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.
If we use Exemplar as the example, how different are the modifications fitted to the 3910 compared to the 2900, I guess not much, if at all, and yet its these modifications that give it its wonderful sonics. So in all honesty I really do suspect there is very little difference in ability between the 2 versions.
Now why then do certain posters eulogise over the massive gains the 3910 is supposed to be over the 2900, bizarre! I suspect its like cars - the mines the latest one, so its got to be better than his, which is last years model.

End of rant!