any thoughts on cambridge azur cd 540/640?

there is a good deal of buzz about these players outside audiogon. Any reason there hasn't been a peep about them here? Hear they are using Wolfson DAC chips and converting to 24/192. I've seen the 640 listed for $449 at spearit sound. At this price, can't understand the silence. Fact is i haven't heard them myself and would like some input from the gonner ears.
fickle75

Showing 2 responses by sugarbrie

I agree with Trelja's comments on the D500SE IF he was using the stock power cord with the D500SE. I found a power cord upgrade made all the difference in the world when I demo'd a D500SE. The stock cord they give you is the worst piece of crap I've seen. Does not even fit snug at all into the IEC socket. I got very good results with a Blue Circle BC61 which can be had new for around $80. Everything Tralja mentions poorly was much improved once the cord was replaced.

If they give you the same type cord with the new player, the first thing you do when you open the box is toss it in the trash..

I actually felt the original D500 was better. It had a 20-bit DAC instead of the 24-bit in the SE, but the 20-bit DAC was of higher quality..

Ask the guys at the Spearit Northampton store what they think. They'll give you an honest answer. I've known Richard Moulding the manager for over 25 years. He is a real straight shooter.. (The mystery for Richard is I doubt he knows me by my screen name !!)
Joe,
I thought the D500 sounds more natural than the D500SE. I was able to demo both when the SE came out. HiFi Choice had similar comments, when the SE came out...

Since the Music Hall generally sold for 1/3 more, it should (and does) sounds better... They did a nice job with it.

I still use a CD-6 in my work office. It is still my favorite Cambridge, not including the new ones that I have not heard. Pretty nice for an office system, so it is a keeper until it breaks. There are some very inexpensive tweeks that even make the old CD-4 sound really good.

I always like trying budget audiophile gear. It is easy to just spend mega-bucks. It is fun when they get it right on the cheap.