Any suggestions for good obscure music?

Category: Speakers

Doesn't have to be too obscure. But I'm looking for some new stuff to listen to. Good music that's well recorded by someone I haven't heard of. Any suggestions?
If anyone is interested I would suggest a compilation disc titled "A Nod to Bob" on Red House Records. This is a tribute to Bob Dylan by artists on the Red House label. Not one bad rendition on the cd. Although they were all written by Dylan, there are a few I hadn't heard before.
I've purchased several cds by artists found on this disc and have yet to be disappointed. I'm listening to Greg Brown "Covenant" now. He's one of the artists on the Nod to Bob. Great stuff with wonderful sonics.
timrhu
Oh..and one more that comes to mind...Sufjan's hauntingly beautiful and simultaneously chilling song, John Wayne Gacy Jr.. It comes to mind as one of my favorite Jurado songs is equally as creepy...a spoken piece titled, "Amateur Night."
for some reason, sufjan stevens reminds me of yanni. foucault is on my ever-expanding list
i saw richard buckner playing outdoors on a saturday afternoon at the taste of chicago fest. he started out with a lengthy, obscene, unintentionally hilarous tirade about having to play next to a country line dance exhibit. he proceeded to play a brilliant hour long solo electric set, then simply walked off stage, further bewildering his audience. not the gregarious sort, i guess, though i've actually met him and he was very gracious.
for some reason, sufjan stevens reminds me of yanni.

He runs hot and cold for me, but I do like that particular song. Now that you've gone and polluted my mind with that thought, I'll never listen to him quite the same! :-I
Listened to Judith Owen once. Sounds promising. It will stay on the play stack for a few more for further evaluation. Good tip.
How about Sera Cahoone? A Seattle indie-folk type, sad and lovely songs, recordings might be better, but aren't offensive. "Only as the Day is Long" is a special disc. Definitely a lot more obscure than some of what is mentioned here, though she has lately been opening for Son Volt.

For Christian music, check out the excellent and somehow inexplicable Ollabelle.

Enthusiastically seconding (thirding?) Richard Buckner's "Bloomed," which has remarkable songwriting; among the alt.country classics. I've not warmed up to many of his other discs, though I admire his willingness to try new things. His on stage surliness if often remarked on.

John