Any suggestion on DAC below $1,500

Hello,

I am looking for suggestion with DAC around $1,000 but if the price around $1,500 and the sound will be MUCH BETTER than $1,000 then I can go with $1,500.  At first I was going to buy Schiit Gungnir as suggested by someone here but I put it on hold due to my vacation.  

Thank you,
eddy1

Showing 1 response by bcgator

I'll take the other side of this coin.   Eddy, I would tell you that the idea that you will hear a "big" difference between these dacs, even from $500 to $1500, is highly debatable.  You are welcome to go with what everyone is saying, but you should be prepared for the possibility that you don't hear much of a difference, or the difference is so small you'll wish you'd spent the money on something else.    Maybe there are huge differences between dacs that cost $300 and $10,000, I don't know because I've never heard a $10K dac.  But $1000 vs $1500?   Good luck with that.   I like Coli's suggestion of the Emotiva DC-1, or you could go with a Peachtree Dac-itx for $300 (I have one), the Schiit Bifrost is a nice unit and you can get the multi-bit version for under $600.   Tons of great choices well under $1000, even under $600.