Any reviews/impressionsons of Ascend Sierra 2?

The Sierra 1 is very well reviwed and there is lots of hype about the Sierra 2 with RAAL tweeter. Any impressions/reviews yet?
springbok10

Showing 2 responses by 213runnin

No one speaker will satisfy 100% of audiophiles, that is a fact.  I've owned speakers from Boston Acoustics, Polk, Mission, Energy, Mirage, Camber, Paradigm, Tannoy and Ascend.  There are many more brands out there succeeding, because of people's preferences.  

I've talked with "audiophiles" that prefer the lowly Paradigm Titan V2 or 3.  For the money, it offers great bang for buck, but put it beside a good quality current bookshelf, and it will be shredded.   But the Titan fans will say, "it doesn't sound like my Titans, I don't like it".   End of story, you can't make people like superior SQ.  

Some are used to dome or even metal dome tweeters, and expect the ribbon to sound like that.  But a dome is an inferior design, a good ribbon will be more faithful to the actual music.

Then there is the band wagon purchaser.  The Kef LS50 is a decent speaker, but not for $1500.  The -3db bass frequency point is 79db.  79!!  And it is only rated for up to 100 watts with a sensitivity of 85.  It does look really good, though.  I've seen photos of people proudly displaying their Kef's with two(!) subs, one under each LS50.  For the money spent they could have purchased a really nice pair of bookshelf speakers.  But they followed the crowd, and then realized they have no bass.  There's a sucker born every minute.
I don't know about the nearfield listening with Sierra 2, I'm about 12 to 13 feet away and they're getting 150 wpc.  In my humble opinion, if you turn the subs off and can hardly tell much of a difference, then you subs are turned too low, or the material might be bass light.  Either way, if you are happy with the sound, then that's all that matters.