Any recommendation for a modern FM tuner

While I am considering several classic tuners, I am wondering if any of the modern FM tuners are any good. What modern FM tuners should I consider? Why do people say that the vintage tuners sound better than the modern tuners?
What modern FM tuners are recommended? Thanks
hgeifman

Showing 6 responses by 7671

I have the Meridian 504 and it is SUPERB! It is in the basement driven by a cheap powered Radio Shack Antenna.I can receive signals from thirty miles away with no problems. It is one of the better fm tuners on the market and came in I believe on the top ten tuners of all times in a recent shoot-out of 100 top tuners both tubed and solid state.Now that is an accomplishment! I have not needed any narrow bandwith or other expensive features. This unit is quality vs gadget driven.
Brianmgrarcom:Since Meridian is a reputable company, wouldn't you think they would install these vital parts if they saw them necessary? I have yet to have had a tuner with the above features noted.The end however is the sound quality,pulling in of weak stations,stability, etc.For this the Meridian cannot be beatIMHO.
Go to fmtunerinfo.com and click on shootout. A review of 63 tuners were done by an audiphile. He ranked the Meridian 504 at number 8.Quite an accomplishment for a digital tuner. Enough said. Enjoy.
Ryanmh1: I'm not stating these features aren't essential but obviously not needed on some tuners. The 504 is hardly a "Stripper". Read the reviews on fminfotuners.com for yourself.I have had vintage tuners as well. All I'm saying is the 504 is one heck of a tuner and will compete with most anything without added "Essentials".Please, let this one lie and die with dignity. Thanks.
Ryanmh1: I'm not stating these features aren't essential but obviously not needed on some tuners. The 504 is hardly a "Stripper". Read the reviews on fminfotuners.com for yourself.I have had vintage tuners as well. All I'm saying is the 504 is one heck of a tuner and will compete with most anything without added "Essentials".Please, let this one lay and die with dignity. Thanks.