Any pluses or minuses to the older McIntosh mc275 compared to the newer mc275's IV, V, VI?

I've got Klipsch La Scala speakers & want to get a McIntosh mc275 amp. There are a couple of mc275 IV's on craigslist right now. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the older ones over the newer ones? Yes, new is new, but then I'm thinking maybe they just don't build 'em like they used to? And I might upgrade to Klipschicorn's in the future... Thank You!    Bill
128x12832blownhemi

Showing 1 response by roadsterluver

Having owned a vast amount of McIntosh, both "vintage" and new, including a pair of MC275VI's mono-blocked, I would submit that the more recent editions of the 275s are all excellent.  From my experience, unless you're buying new with its obvious advantages, precautions are essential to ensure that the used pieces are in the best condition possible.  Online purchasing makes that a challenge, so ask lots of questions and use a credit card that will stand by you in the event of a dispute over the purchase. I look for ads with lots of pictures that I can examine for any signs of abuse, are the tubes original or replacements, and I need to know the estimated number of hours on the tubes.  A concern for me are those ads that have one or two pictures (usually poor quality) and minimal descriptive narrative.  The newer editions of the 275 are extremely well-built, but abuse is abuse.  Since you're paying for quality, used or otherwise, that is what you should get.  Due diligence pays off.  Best of luck!