Any other Sophia Amplifier Experiences???

Sophia Amplifiers
I’ve been having a lot of problems with my Sophia 845 91-05 amplifiers. They are the top of the line units that Sophia makes that retail for 20K USD. I got them used from Jay at audio revelation for a reasonable deal. I had them for about 2 months and they blew an AC transformer. I sent them to a local tech who has a very good reputation who diagnosed them and ended up fixing them. Sophia did not help out with the repair at all, Jay was quite upset when they charged 400USD for a simple transformer. 2 months later and I blow the same transformer. Again the same tech does the diagnosis and Sophia says that I should get 2 transformers as the new ones are slightly different. Richard at Sophia says he will give me half off if I buy 2. I agree and my tech installs 2 of the trannies. Another couple of months go by and another one of them blows. It has been the same tranny every time but alternating between amps, the AC1 tranny which supplies the 5Z3PAT tube filaments at 5 volts/3amps and the plates on the 6au4 half wave rectifiers. This time I am worried that maybe there is something wrong with my supply so I buy a regenerator. I still have one of the old working trannies and I install that one. Everything works fine for a little over a month and now I have blown another one! The last remaining new one just went, not the old one that I just put in. Richard at Sophia has been very difficult to deal with, he won’t even entertain the idea that there is something wrong with the transformers. I’m not a wealthy individual and this has been a huge strain financially and emotionally. I have numerous other amps that I run including a pair of 300B’s that I built and they all work fine, I have never blown another transformer on one of the other amps. The thing is my speakers work the best with these 845 amps and I love the way they sound. I just want them to work. I’m at a bit of a loss of what to do next….thinking about trying another brand of transformer in there. I sent Richard a message about 4 days ago requesting the specs and he has not responded. Apparently he is out of the country at trade shows according to the response from Sue at Sophia. I can’t imagine he isn’t checking his email!!! Has anybody else had problems with Sophia amps? Any ideas on what I should do? Does anyone know what the spec would be to the plate of a 6au4?
analogluvr

Showing 4 responses by mt10425

I've had two Sophia amps, currently using an EL-34. Any questions I've had were always difficult with Richard. Getting him to completely understand is challenging. I've had much better and successful communication with Sue.
What are you looking for exactly? Sympathy while you bad mouth Sophia. You'll eventually find some as, Sophia amps aren't perfect or the greatest available. Maybe a new amp will alleviate your frustration.
So, your experience with Richard should be seen as representative across the board? These forums are bandwagon driven. Many wait for someone to start a 'I'm getting screwed' thread so they can fall in the 'me too' line. Jay seems like a pretty good guy with quality stuff. I'm not defending Richard at all but, painting Sophia service with such a broad brush is a bit unfair.
'I think people should know what kind of service they can expect if they choose to buy Sophia.'
Do you even read what you write? I'm not a Sophia apologist. I do own and like my amp(s) from Sophia and have not had any issues with reliability. I hope you get yours fixed.
1. It was purchased used.
2. People other than Sophia have worked on it.
3. Take tjassoc post seriously.
People here always get spun when threads ask for experienced responses and get folks who no knowledge of the equipment.