Any opinions on the Dodson 217MKiiD?

I was wondering if anybody has tried this unit. After about 15 years of living with my existing system, I've recently upgraded to a Pass X250 and X2 (awaiting delivery of the units and keeping my B&W 802III's). Now trying to decide on what DAC. I've read about the Dodson (even spoke with Ralph himself) and am impressed but lots of $$$. Any thoughts? Also will purchase a transport. Can get a really good deal on a Theta Pearl (still new in the box). Any thoughts on that. As you can see I really don't upgrade that often and would keep these units for the long term. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
stvr

Showing 1 response by jtinn

The Dodson is one of the top 3 dacs in the world, behind the dCs and Accuphase. I would recommend it highly along with a Sony SCD-1 or 777 player which is great as a transport and gives the added benefit of SACD. It is also fully upgradable to also be able to process the SACD signal. While the Dodson's upsampling of CD's is a great improvement, it still does not compete with the sound of SACD. SACD competes with the sound of the master tape.