Any JBL 1400 Synthesis Array owners

I have a pair and am interested in what amps you have tried and the results. I am currently using a 70 wpc tube amp to great effect. I will also try the Quicksilver 90wpc Silver Mono and MFA M 200 in 100 wpc triode mode. The Bryston 14BSST is great but too heavy for me so I reluctantly sold it. Perhaps trying a 3 BSST in the future for a SS alternative.
Using an Aesthetix Calypso preamp.
PT
plasmatech

Showing 2 responses by tlong1958

I had a pair of the 1400s for about a year, I thought they were very good. Used a McIntosh MC452 to drive them. I would still have them but I ran into a very good deal on a pair of JBL 4367.
I traded my 1400s in on the 4367s, I had only owned the 1400s for about a year or so and was very happy with them. The 4367s not only play louder, they remain clear and show no signs of strain at higher volume. The 1400s could sound a bit compressed (for lack of a better term) when pushed hard. The 4367s are also more dynamic at any volume. I used a McIntosh room correction unit with both, MEN 220 I think is the model number. I think the 1400s are very good, but the 4367s are significantly better. They should be, for the price difference.