Any JBL 1400 Synthesis Array owners

I have a pair and am interested in what amps you have tried and the results. I am currently using a 70 wpc tube amp to great effect. I will also try the Quicksilver 90wpc Silver Mono and MFA M 200 in 100 wpc triode mode. The Bryston 14BSST is great but too heavy for me so I reluctantly sold it. Perhaps trying a 3 BSST in the future for a SS alternative.
Using an Aesthetix Calypso preamp.
PT
plasmatech

Showing 9 responses by dave_72

One of the members of our audio club (Las Vegas Audio Club) has a pair of these, they sound great! The amps: 1000 W Crown industrial amps. I heard this system cranked. You'll be picking your jaw up off of the floor.

I have the JBL S4700s, which are, for the most part, equivalent in sound to the 1400 Arrays, and there might be something to using high powered solid state amps with these very efficient speakers. I'm looking at the Accuphase A-70, which is a Class-A lower powered amp, but can drive very low impedances. It drove a pair of very insensitive Magico speakers @ CES 2015 with no problem at all. But that Pass Labs X350.5 and .8 has gotta be one of the best, if not the best high powered stereo A/B amps out there...I would get that over the Bryston, but the Bryston is a good choice too, and it's a bit cheaper as well...
If you wanna go Bryston, then get the 4B SST2. That's what I use (actually the older SST model) at the present time with my JBLs. I haven't got it to clip yet. Another idea is to bi amp with tubes on the mids/highs, and solid state on the bass. But that needs to be carefully done. It's a bit tricky.
Dave 72, I bet the JBL speakers sounded better than the magico speakers hands down!

Probably, but the magazines don't want you to know that, or they just don't know. lol.
Those have been around for a while now actually. no, I haven't heard them yet.
At least 3 years. I'm not sure, I believe so. Retail is around $4 or $5k. Maybe even $6k. The specs are in the reviews, just look them up via Google.
Yes you were. As well as the new to North America 4365 which have been available in Europe and the Far East for quite some time now...:D
Well, again, they're very new to North America, and for some reason haven't been publicized yet except on dealer websites.

http://www.homeaudiosound.com/?portfolio=jbl-4365-studio-monitor

No experience with them other than reading about them. One of the club (Las Vegas Audio Club) members just got a pair, so eventually I'll be up at his place to listen to them!

Take care!