Any info on the new Audio Research VS115 tube amp?

My local dealer said that it will include balanced inputs (which the prior VS model did not). Curious if others have heard any more information. Supposedly, ARC will have one at CES...look forward to hearing attendees' comments about this new tube amp! It is not supposed to be ready for delivery until the latter part of January.
mcrheist

Showing 2 responses by bobvin

Cuwatch1, my VS115 has just crossed 300 hours... and I assume you are asking about the overall sound quality vs tube life (per Soundoc)? I'm just returned to the high end, so don't have the vocabulary or recent experience of owning other high end parts, but as for "my" VS115 the sound changed radically after about 200 hours. When I first installed the amp I was a little freaked out -- the base was boomy, and the sound was conjested and everything just seemed "off". I almost took it back for a Ref110, but the dealer advised just letting it cook by leaving it on for a week 24/7. That made a huge difference - things started to sound pretty damn good and overall the sound seems to be coming more and more into focus.
My amp now is nearing 1000 hours... I decided that would be an appropriate amount of time to have elapsed and decided to check the bias. At first, I too was a little confused about the test points and adjusting screws, but it became obvious after a few minutes of thought and testing the various points.

I "set" the bias to 65mV on the appropriate tube, then checked the matching tube and found it fell very close to, if not directly on, 65mV. The amp was on for several hours before I did this ensuring everything was warmed up and stable. For three of the four set points, the bias was very close to 65mV, only off a couple mV at best. On the fourth point I found the value to be 59mV, and the matched tube was at 73mV. When I adjusted the "set" point up to 65mV, the matched tube came down to 66mV. Not having had the pleasure to measure bias for anything before, I was happy to see this was quite simple with good results. I just wish the plastic adusting screw driver thingy had a bigger end for my fingers -- as I lingered over the hot tubes my palms got a little sweaty and it was hard to get a grip on the adjuster.