Any good video sites out there?

So, my post about the clickbait nature of some youtube video sites was removed.

I was not trolling. I was not baiting.

Let's think about this for a moment. This is a hobby that pays attention to reviews. They drive sales, conversations, and how we perceive audio itself. 

Therefore, it's relevant to an audio hobbyist site to discuss the kinds of reviews out there. A good, informative review can guide members toward new ways of evaluating audio and help them make more informed decisions. On the other hand, review sites which are inaccurate or even just hyperbolic in their reviews or in their titles also have an impact on how seriously we can take that site. In the case of YouTube, some members here think that it is YouTube itself that is at fault. 

So, this is a valid topic for an audio forum. I went to a site -- which shall remain nameless because critique is not allowed, I guess -- which is consistently saying that the latest review is the "best ever" or "the most ultimate XYZ ever" etc. This is the kind of hyperbole which, I am arguing, has a negative effect on other, less manic sites -- which I will not name, either -- the ones not trying to work the algorithms to garner clicks.

The post I made was a claim with evidence -- evidence supporting the claim that there was a hyperbolic quality to the site. That's all I did.

And then my post was taken down.

Let's analyze what has just happened.

Violating post policies means posting "prohibited content."
The rules are as follows:

You will not submit content that is copyrighted or subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy, publicity, trade secret, etc., unless you are the owner of such rights or have the appropriate permission from their rightful owner to specifically submit such content.
You will not post information that is malicious, false or inaccurate.
You will not post content that is sexually expicit.
You will not post content that is abusive or defames another member of The Service.

Those of you who read my post will realize that I did none of these things. What I did was call attention to a youtube site that -- I am claiming, with evidence -- tends toward hyperbole in their titles.

If this post gets taken down, then I think only one conclusion can be drawn about what has happened to "moderation" here.

128x128hilde45

think i mentioned this in an earlier post in the now deleted thread

clickbait is a fact of life these days, any online info source seeking eyeballs engage in the practice, just some content providers are more egregious than others - economics of web is fundamentally ’clicks = $$’

and regarding censorship, it is no more wrong for someone to call out click bait than it is for someone to put clickbait out there in the first place... free speech should cut both ways yes?

I’ve explained this position to the moderator who understood what I was up to and promised to pause a bit longer before deleting another post of mine.

Again -- I know this site is a "business." But I’m not a business. I’m a person, engaging in conversation with others about an art form -- living in a culture. Culture trumps business in my book, and I don’t ask permission from "business" for what I say. I say it and see what happens. There was blowback. Fine. But some understood what I said, why, and they took away something to think about. I don’t care about convincing the close-minded or other angry keyboard warriors looking to fight a battle. No need to waste time.

The problem with human societies, and the source of all their issues... is that they are full of individuals.

The reason societies work at all and we can possibly even have a functional and growing, expanding, greater and better future - is that they are full of individuals.

We end up with small looking, or unimportant looking tiny side battles in life that are concurrent to the perceived larger issues or ’battles’. They are, invariably.. a microcosm of the larger more complex ones.

Thus, we end up with small things like this having the depth and scope of the larger ones. Fractal/holographic, if you will. In a hologram, that is shattered, a small less resolved analog of the original is expressed in the fraction, no matter how small. Or, if you will..’As above - so below’.

Thus, even a small argument/discussion on a audio website can involve/invoke/contain components of the manifold complexities of issues where the world’s problems have to be solved.

This is where we arrive at... to even make a functional set of posts in the course of a given discussion on seemingly unimportant matters.

The tendrils of belief and expression go where they go and not much can be done about it but to understand that expressive and fulfilling relation generally brings potentials in complexity, in all things.

Being boxed in and drawn out by the depth of inclusion of the internet, in our lives, has only exacerbated this normal human relational set of issues. Most importantly, and dangerously, it has put a set of filters in place that many/most are only marginally aware of (consciousness issues in individual level and type) and created a deep capacity for coloration, by others, the ’others’ who control and shape the given ’internet’.

It is a way of doing things that I think dilutes and cheapens conversation about the hobby.

This is what the fuss is all about? Hahahahahaha

@teo_audio 

Being boxed in and drawn out by the depth of inclusion of the internet, in our lives, has only exacerbated this normal human relational set of issues. Most importantly, and dangerously, it has put a set of filters in place that many/most are only marginally aware of (consciousness issues in individual level and type) and created a deep capacity for coloration, by others, the ’others’ who control and shape the given ’internet’.

Well said. I love to hear your voice and learn from you. You are a part of the internet that makes me feel less boxed in. Thanks.

@jjss49 

and regarding censorship, it is no more wrong for someone to call out click bait than it is for someone to put clickbait out there in the first place... free speech should cut both ways yes?

Agreed. Indeed, my influence is minuscule and I make no money by calling out clickbait. Whereas the other individuals are making money at diluting the conversation with clickbait and hyperbole. If anyone stands on weaker normative grounds, it's the carnival barker. But it's all "free speech." Those who think it's "no big deal" are welcome to think that; I have a different set of standards for what I think constitutes real discussion.